Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
radski

Model: 8700
Carrier: Voda
Default Spam mail filtering when connected through BES and Exchange

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everybody,

just wanted to ask a question if somebody is successfully filtering their spam mail when they are not in charge of the e-mail systems they connect to.

I'm connected through BES and Exchange server and unfortunately our e-mail infrastructure is crap at filtering spam mail.

So I've got Outclass and POPFile installed locally which do a wonderful job and filtering AND sorting my mail into different buckets.

Unfortunately incoming mail is getting forwarded to my blackberry before it hits my outlook so I still get all the spam.

I've tried creating a separate folder in outlook to which I forward all "healthy" mail and then forward only that folder to my blackberry. Unfortunately, although the mail stays as unread in Outlook on the blackberry in comes up as archived - so no red flashing light, no red envelopes and having to press MORE to see the whole thing.

Has anyboty tried doing anything similar? Any success?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

R.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I use an outsourced Exchange provider (mailstreet) and for a small monthly fee they add their spam defense software which eliminates nearly all of my spam.

Prior to that when I was using a regular POP email, I would use SpamCop.net - Beware of cheap imitations which let me forward all my email into a special spamcop address, and out the other side I would in turn forward the cleaned email to my Blackberry. This solution worked nearly as well as the spam defense that Mailstreet offers.

Never give out the basic email address assigned to your Blackberry. So far as I know, in that situation there is no practical solution for removing the spam.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
chrishch

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

We have Exchange 2003 SP2 and Cloudmark Server Edition v2.

I had spam filtering working fine, before upgrading to BES 4.1SP2. We delay the sending of messages for 15 seconds, and Spam won't show up on the handhelds. Since upgrading to SP2, spam are getting through, even with delays of 30, 45 and 60 seconds. Not all spam get through, but just a large percentage of them and for some reason, especially problematic on the BlackBerry Pearl.

RIM has acknowledge changes in SP2 that is causing the problem, but they would not fix it, as they don't think it's their problem. They said it has something to do with SP1 and older using RefID to tag the message, but they are now using EntryID as well as RefID. They said Cloudmark are the ones who need to fix this.

I'm not sure what the next step is, as I am still waiting to hear from Cloudmark with this latest development. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.
Closed Thread