Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
mahal721
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t
Unhappy BES 4.1.2 - Blackberry Policy Service

Please Login to Remove!

SP2 was installed last week and since then the Blackberry Policy Service stops and restarts at least once every hour. My coworker, another BES Admin, has contacted RIM but we've been getting the run-around from RIM saying "the stale accounts are causing this to fail. Remove these and all will be fine."

There are only 5 stale accounts (haven't spoken to the BES in 30+ days) out of a few hundred accounts. The Event Viewer and BES Policy Logs don't show any obvious reasons as to why this service stops and restarts other than the typical communication attempts to handhelds.

Any ideas?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

So did you remove those five accounts?
If it didn't work call them back.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
mahal721
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||
So did you remove those five accounts?
If it didn't work call them back.
Not yet. Still waiting for their Blackberry status to be confirmed (just in case measure so execs don't get pissed off for being removed when for some reason they decide to power on their handhelds today, which has happened many times).
Old 10-30-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
mahal721
Thumbs Must Hurt

Anyways, i guess my situation could be refined to the following:
has anyone experienced the Blackberry Policy Service stopping and starting hourly after SP2 was installed? This wasn't an issue prior to the SP2 installation.

I'm feeling that the RIM response was too generic and safe; not a surprise though. In a Blackberry environment of less than 300 handhelds, I'm sure in other environments that have way more handhelds than mine have experienced stale accounts for longer than 30+ days. then again, I could be wrong in my assumption, but I thought I'd ask.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
mahal721
Thumbs Must Hurt

anyone? i'm starting to feel like no one else has encountered this issue
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal721
anyone? i'm starting to feel like no one else has encountered this issue
What is a stale account? Is the Handheld off? or is the user been removed from Exchange?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
mahal721
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||
What is a stale account? Is the Handheld off? or is the user been removed from Exchange?
stale acct = hasn't communicated at all (IT Policy, Last Contact, etc.) in the past 30 days according to RIM.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #8
jgroh9

Model: 7290
Default Stale Accounts

I seem to have the same issue with my BES as well. We have 4.1 service pack 2 but I think this issue has been going on before we implemented service pack 2. We have over 1150 users and there are probably 50 or so users that have stale accounts. I noticed that in the event viewer the policy tries to push to these users every hour or so as well. It really seems to hog up memory on the server too. This seems like an issue with the BES software. I even have the IT policy resend interval set to 0 so it should not send out the IT policy automatically but it seems to anyway.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:39 AM   #9
mahal721
Thumbs Must Hurt

yes, that's exactly what i've noticed on the errors in the event viewer. I agree that it has to be the BES software. something in 4.1 sp2 made it temperamental.

after removing/establishing communication with the stale accounts, the error stopped appearing in the event viewer and our MOM server stopped notifying of the stop/auto restart of the Blackberry Policy Service.

i hope an update gets released for this issue. bc that's going to be a pain for BES environments, especially ones the size of yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroh9
I seem to have the same issue with my BES as well. We have 4.1 service pack 2 but I think this issue has been going on before we implemented service pack 2. We have over 1150 users and there are probably 50 or so users that have stale accounts. I noticed that in the event viewer the policy tries to push to these users every hour or so as well. It really seems to hog up memory on the server too. This seems like an issue with the BES software. I even have the IT policy resend interval set to 0 so it should not send out the IT policy automatically but it seems to anyway.

Last edited by mahal721; 11-05-2006 at 12:42 AM..
Closed Thread