BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
kwolthouse

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Default BES 4.0 to BES 4.1

Please Login to Remove!

We are a domino house, and we are moving our BES off of our mail server.
We currently are running 4.0.1 on our mail server, we have purchased and installed 4.1 with a seperate SRP onto a different server.

How can I easily move users from the 4.0.1 to the 4.1?

I tried importing them, they can receive messages but not send. I then try using wireless activation, but it fails due to IT policy.

Only way I can get them to work is by cradling them to the server. With over 100 users, do not want to have to cradle every blackberry.

Any help would be apprieciated.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

wheres your db and is it shared by both bes's or did you install a new db when you ran up the new bes?

If you went separate dbase then you can't really move users between BESs, and you need to wipe device and re-cradle/activate on new BES. To get round your IT policy issue, set that handheld to a 'default' policy and give it 20 minutes to take prior to wiping. then re ent act on the new server and your're away. Still it's a bit of a PITA with 100 users, plus all the users will scream as you've wiped their devices...

Otoh if you'd installed 4.0.1 on the new server but sharing the same db as the old them migrated users across and then done an in-place upgrade then less of a pain from an IT and end-user perspective as no-need to wipe devices etc.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
kwolthouse

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Ok, we installed 4.1 on a new server and then used the blackberryDBbackup and restore to move the db to the new server. Now we have two servers listed in the blackberry manager, the old server name and all the users and the new server with no users.

This new server has a new SRP, so can I just use the Move User to get them to the new server and SRP? without cradling every unit?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

yes, with 4.1 the updates service books will get pushed out automatically. I'd test in on a subset first however.
Closed Thread