BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default Unlock/Lock menu (OS 4.2) - Need YOUR Help! Please Read!

Please Login to Remove!

I'm going to start up this thread in the attempt to have a feature of OS 4.2 changed. For those that do not have a password enabled on your device, the only way to unlock it would be to press the * + [call] key combination. While that is all fine and dandy, in previous versions of the RIM OS dating back to atleast 3.6 (possibly earlier, but I didn't deal with it prior to that release), if the device was locked, you could select 'Unlock' from the lock menu and it would actually unlock the device.

RIM's reasoning behind this feature change is that people could possibly unlock the device by accident. I don't believe I've honestly ever unlocked the device by accident in the past, and I'm honestly not sure of anyone else who has done so, either. They suggest that the feature won't change, which is where we come in.

As mentioned, I don't see the point in selecting Unlock from the menu and it not unlocking the device. It's rather misleading, to be honest. If you have a password enabled, selecting Unlock from the menu prompts for your password then unlocks the device. Why not the same for those of us who don't have a password enabled?

If you haven't noticed this yet, lock your device and then move your trackball around or press a key. I'm one for clean design of an OS, and for me, not doing something when you expect it to do so is a negative experience (you'd think I would have learned my lesson after all of these failed relationships, eh?).

Ultimately, I want the feature from OS 4.1 and prior to be reinstated. Thoughts? If this doesn't pick up any steam, I'll just delete the thread, but from a previous thread, there are more people out there who feel the same.

For those users who aren't using a Pearl currently, this will be a feature of OS 4.2 for your device (8700 users in the next month or three, those planning to purchase an 8800 in the same time frame, etc).
Old 11-15-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
GMK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

On 4.2 (75 platform release) if you press (& hold for wapp 1 sec) the top mute key it puts the 8100 in standby. The keyboard is locked. If you roll the trackball or press a key nothing happens, until you press the mute key again and everything is functional. What's the diff except this accomplishes the objective (if I understand what you're trying to accomplish) and it does it with one keypress.

If you want to use a password then keyboard lock is the way to go.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

It's an added bonus, but not really what I was going for, to be honest. My argument is that a) the feature should not have been removed - there was no point in doing so; and b) if a menu has an option called Unlocked, what's the logical thought process as to it's function? If it's not going to actually unlock the device, then it shouldn't be an option on the device - plain and simple.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
GMK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

Gotcha.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
cmpugh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I completely agree with you here jibi. I have been using a blackberry for a long time, and the new unlock sequence is somewhat of an inconvenience.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

i hate the new sequence as well... However i am truly in love with the standby button on the top... i no longer need to lock the device for keyguard purposes.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I believe the reasoning used by RIM is typical of the method used by most cellular manufacturers in the past year. Working as a consultant in a call center I used to get calls from customers who either claimed they never accessed their device web browser or claimed they never unintentionally speed dialed 911 emergency services. Having the end user use two keys to unlock the device is a better method and less likely to cause either billing issues or charges for falsely calling 911. Due to security concerns my preferred method is to actually lock the device with a code by using one for the SIM card and another for the Pearl.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmobile

well for my self i keep it in my pocket and so i lock it when put it in and when i recive a call no need to unlock, but when i going to use it simply use * and green phone, not very hard different folks different stokes. just my pref, hopefully no offence taken, and yes i see your frustation with this feature as, with any other phone ive ever used, they always had auto lock after 15 or so sec after you hang up with who your speaking with. im with you jibi.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

I prefer the multi-key approach to unlocking the phone. Less accidental dialing. I have had times where keys get pressed by accident, but since the phone is locked, no calls are made.

I have this one friend who is always calling me and I hear nothing but his background movements for as long as I am willing to listen before I hang up. The problem: he is bending over and he hits the speed dial to my number.

Ultimately I like the standby/mute button because it makes the phone go dead. At times I like knowing that someone cannot grab my phone and make a quick call or nose around my call log or e-mails. [E.g., when in the shower women are known to pick up a guy's phone to see what's in there. I know, "if I have nothing to hide, blah, blah, blah" but I still like that standby feature.].

I have comfort knowing that few people know that to get it off standby you have to press the mute key. I wish the way to unlock it would not display after a time.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-15-2006 at 03:14 PM..
Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

For what it's worth, you can dial 911 from the Lock/Unlock menu in less steps than unlocking the device and dialing 9-1-1. I've also found one more 'bug' (I'm sure its a feature, though). If you enable 'Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked' via IT policy, unlocking the device with * + [call] causes the device to open up the Phone application. You then have to click the RIM bullet button and select Unlock from the menu. VERY annoying!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:41 PM   #11
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

I have difficulty just getting the menu with three choices to come up. By moving around the trackball and pressing a button, I get only get the choice to unlock it with * and green phone. The only way I can get the menu to come up with the "invalid" selection of unlock, emergency call and cancel, is to press the trackball in, release it then move it around. Tmobile ver 4.2.

I don't use any security code to unlock it, maybe that's the difference.

It's an invalid option any way you look at it.

on edit... read the original post.. please disregard..

I got it now.. you want to press the trackball and unlock as I used to do with my 7100t.. yeah I liked that. It was quick and easy where this is a pita.

Last edited by phjnky; 11-15-2006 at 09:52 PM..
Old 11-17-2006, 04:19 AM   #12
thestoogeo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I want the track wheel unlocking to stay. It's fast and easy and I have never had a problem with it unlocking and I keep my phone in my pocket. I lock and unlock 100 times a day.

If anything they should remove the 911 option as I have called 911 more than once and had to apologize on RIM's behalf. If you can't unlock the phone and dial 911 your probably not going to be able to click and choose call 911 why not leave it like every other phone out there.

First I hear the new BB 8800 is going to have a ball instead of a wheel and now this. I may never upgrade again.

Jibi thanks for speaking up and giving us a chance to catch this before it happens. Hopefully the mute button may be a way out if they won't agree to reinstate the feature. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Jon
Old 11-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
mobrien118
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24AA9EC3

Yeah, I upgraded from a 7100 to the 8100 and I couldn't quite figure out why 'Unlock' didn't unlock the phone.

Also, I would like to see an automatic keyguard, like if you're at the home screen for more than a minute without activity it locks the device. Nokia has had this for a long time and it would prevent my pocket from calling my boss (mid Saturday along with a 5 minute long message) or my fiance's parents (from a bar at midnight on a thursday night). Is there a patent on this feature or something?

--mobrien
Old 11-18-2006, 04:12 PM   #14
ddfilms
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agrre with this as well. if you lock the keypad someone calls and you need to look up an address, you press the menu & unlock and nothing happens. I am new to blackberry so this came as quite a shock. I thought I was doing something wrong. I think they should change it!

just my noob $.02
Old 11-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #15
jp03

Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Why would lock be better than stand by?

I'm using the mute button to send the Pearl to "stand by" mode.

To me this is superior to the lock function anyway.

First, the screen doesn't light up when a key or the trackball are moved (saving battery) and secondly no risk of making an emergency call by mistake.

So what are the advantages of the lock function which make people so keen to get it working to their desired specification?

Daniel
Old 11-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #16
jibi
BlackBerry God

1 - Pressing the mute button is not your 'natural' range of motion when the device is sitting in your hand. The button is on the top of the device rather than on the side or the front where your fingers already can reach without having to make an extra effort to reach for it.

2 - Most of us who have been using these devices for a LONG time are used to being able to select 'Unlock' from the menu as second nature and it unlocking the device. This is a feature of OS 4.2 not just the Pearl, so those users who use the trackwheel on an 8700 or 7130 will no longer be able to do so here shortly.

3 - As mentioned, it was an un-needed change in functionality. There was NO point in making the change, especially for those of us who were accustomed to the original functionality.

4 - From a logical standpoint, and as mentioned, selecting 'Unlock' from a menu would seemingly have an unlock function, but it doesn't, in this case.

5 - There is a one-button mechanism to lock the device (holding *), and now the one-'button' mechanism (rather, a fluid motion) for unlocking the device has now been removed.

Last edited by jibi; 11-19-2006 at 10:53 AM..
Old 11-19-2006, 05:50 PM   #17
jp03

Thanks for that jibi

I understand better why you're upset.

But as a workaround, why don't you try using the mute button? You might get used to it - The Pearl is quite small and I don't find the button to be a stretch for a natural reach and press!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #18
jibi
BlackBerry God

I've been using the mute button for a while now. I'm not really too concerned with this for JUST the Pearl though. Keep in mind that I manage hundreds of BlackBerry users for my corporation with a wide range of devices than just the Pearl.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:25 AM   #19
jp03

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

OK

Point taken

I'll join your petition

Daniel
Old 11-20-2006, 01:54 AM   #20
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

I posted this in a different thread. Before I updated to .64, if it was locked and I pressed any key, it would prompt me to do * + green phone to unlock. Now when I press any key there's no prompt, and furthermore when I press * and green phone it will not unlock. It only unlocks when I press mute. There's no prompt, all the keys are locked. I don't think I can even dial 911 with it locked. Anybody else notice the difference with the update?
Closed Thread