BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
JesusFreak
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Question Auto backlight in 0.64

Please Login to Remove!

Yesterday i updated my Pearl with .64 version. After it was completed i can't find the Automatic Blacklight option. I want to cancel it, because now it goes on and off whenever it wants to. It used to be in Options/ScreenKeybord.

Also question:
is there any way to make my Pearl to browse faster thru Preload Media pictures. It takes so long to see the thumbnails of all of them.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
GMK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak
Yesterday i updated my Pearl with .64 version. After it was completed i can't find the Automatic Blacklight option. I want to cancel it, because now it goes on and off whenever it wants to. It used to be in Options/ScreenKeybord.

Also question:
is there any way to make my Pearl to browse faster thru Preload Media pictures. It takes so long to see the thumbnails of all of them.
Its been taken out of every release after the TMO .42 original package. This is a major PO for most of us and scuttlebutt has it that its not coming back.

I agree, the thumbnail rendering is very slow. Sorry, don't have a fix but I'd like one.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

With this OS update my 8100 gos through the thumbnails at a really fast rate. Its so much faster than my 7100i or even the 8100 when I first got it with the OEM OS from T-mo.. I don't see what the issue maybe try a hard reset and see if that helps. Also they are a little sluggish the first time they poad after reseting but after that they are super fast.
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 11-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
GMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythmbHurts
With this OS update my 8100 gos through the thumbnails at a really fast rate. Its so much faster than my 7100i or even the 8100 when I first got it with the OEM OS from T-mo.. I don't see what the issue maybe try a hard reset and see if that helps. Also they are a little sluggish the first time they poad after reseting but after that they are super fast.
I agree, it must have a thumbnail indexing service. After a preliminary slower load, the next time I go into pics, it renders quickly. Thanks
Old 11-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
mobiledave

Carrier: T-Mobile 60% of the Time, it works everytime!
Question Auto dim problems!?!?

BUMP.
Quote:
Well I just picked one up last night! It also goes on and off whenever it wants to. Should I take it back? Drives me crazy since im coming from a 8700!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledave
BUMP.

Well I just picked one up last night! It also goes on and off whenever it wants to. Should I take it back? Drives me crazy since im coming from a 8700!
If you just can't stand it...follow the instructions for downgrading your OS in the sticky thread about Upgrading/Downgrading OS located in the General Blackberry Discussion. It's right at the top of the page. You can downgrade your OS to 4.2.0.42 and you'll have the auto dim disable capability in screen/keyboard. Otherwise you're stuck with it auto dimming. Here are basic instructions. More details can be found in the sticky thread.

1. Install the desktop manager software. Make sure your BB can connect AFTER the installation.

2. Download and then install the 4.2.0.42 OS file on your computer. It's located here: http://206.252.133.77/bbupdate/8100_Pearl_4.2.0.42.exe

3. Next delete the vendor.xml file located here: c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

4. Then plug in the BB and run the desktop manager. The program should detect that your software wants to downgrade. Follow the prompts. The load should take about 30-45 minutes. DO NOT UNPLUG the BB until it's finished. It hangs on "waiting for device initialization" for about 10-15 minutes and many people get impatient and unplug. Dont.

Again, please read the sticky about this process as these are general instructions for the process.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
GMK

Quote:
BUMP.

The best you can do at this point is roll back to .42 or set your time out higher, I think the max is 2 minutes. Versions later than .42 do not allow for the Autodim bypass.

There is a utility called BBLight that could potentially solve some of the probs but I can't get it to work on my 8100. Could be me.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
JesusFreak

Default ....

No, i decided to stay with .67 (i upgraded yesterday). It's bothering me, but i got used to it. I can forget about flashlight now

I have an idea. Since Blackberry is the company that wants to make its customers happy, we should vote to have that feature back and if we will get serious number of people we will submit the votes to RIM. I think they will do something about it. It is a good phone, i just want it it be better. Its good that we talk with each other over here, but if we will not take actions it will stay the same way. I know I know, its just a phone, but i love my phone the same as i love my car.
God bless.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Send an e-mail to [email address]...
Old 11-25-2006, 03:40 AM   #10
cloud909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why does everyone have such a problem with not being able to shut off the "automatic backlight function"? It's useful, makes sense, yet everyone and their mother on this board *****es about it. Am I the only one who doesn't care that the option is missing? o_O

PS - I think it's funny that this forum has an automatic censor built in... *lol* Are there actually kids on this forum that have blackberries? Strange...
Old 11-25-2006, 05:32 AM   #11
mobiledave

Carrier: T-Mobile 60% of the Time, it works everytime!

Well Im just going to deal-with-it!
I got over it!
Thanks for the replys..
Old 11-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #12
GMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud909
Just out of curiosity, why does everyone have such a problem with not being able to shut off the "automatic backlight function"? It's useful, makes sense, yet everyone and their mother on this board *****es about it. Am I the only one who doesn't care that the option is missing? o_O

PS - I think it's funny that this forum has an automatic censor built in... *lol* Are there actually kids on this forum that have blackberries? Strange...
If there was an option I would likely use the autodim freature 80% of the time but there are situations when the algorithm just doesn't work and I would love to be able to set my own screen brightness. On the 7105t that I had, a click of the top button (this model didn't have autodim) would cycle the backlight through full bright>off and then it go somewhere in between. One button push and bright. Excellent.

The ideal situation for me would be Autodim on with an override. Utilize the Volume keys, when not in a volume application to move the brightness up or down.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #13
rkkeller

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I know you can adjust the screen brightness in the options and set the screen to be on for up to 2 minutes between presses.

If you havent pressed any keys for 2 minutes why would you want it to remain on ? Its probably one of the bigggest battery drains besides maybe leaving BT on all the time.

The 30 second default is perfect for me 80% of the time and even too long about 10% of the time.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK
The ideal situation for me would be Autodim on with an override. Utilize the Volume keys, when not in a volume application to move the brightness up or down.
That would be perfect! email that one to RIM.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #15
dmoffitt

Carrier: T-Mobile

ugh, the autodim is driving me NUTS.... I don't mind it shutting the backlight off after a predetermined amt. of time, it's just horribly dim when it "thinks" it's dark in the room, and miserable to read.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #16
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on
Angry

I hate autodim. I spend two hours a day on a commuter bus - prime surfing time - and every time we drive under an overpass my autodim goes nuts trying to correct itself. It's a good thing I don't have epilepsy.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #17
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak
No, i decided to stay with .67 (i upgraded yesterday). It's bothering me, but i got used to it. I can forget about flashlight now

I have an idea. Since Blackberry is the company that wants to make its customers happy, we should vote to have that feature back and if we will get serious number of people we will submit the votes to RIM. I think they will do something about it. It is a good phone, i just want it it be better. Its good that we talk with each other over here, but if we will not take actions it will stay the same way. I know I know, its just a phone, but i love my phone the same as i love my car.
God bless.

I want it back too. For those who want it....disable the backlight. For those who don't.....enable it. I don't think they should have just done away with the backlight option when people still want it.

Edit: Auto dim feature is what I meant to address.

Last edited by blakeatl; 12-06-2006 at 02:53 PM..
Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #18
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

The backlight feature has never worked and I wish that they would either leave on or off all the time.

There have always been many "fixes" but none of them really work all that well. The auto dim feature is supposed to be smart. It's just not that smart.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #19
admartinezjr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c

My autodim feature has a mind of its own....sometimes it drives me crazy and dims the display too much while indoors.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #20
riccardojr

Dear John,
It's official, you're in my will! Prior to discovering your insightful message on how to downgrade back to the original Pearl software (backlighting issue) and Blackberry Forums in general, I must have spent at least 4 hours on the phone with various T-Mobile techs and one RIM tech and per their direction ending up sending 2 phones back to T-Mobile before discovering that the problem had nothing to do with the phone itself!
I will in the future consult with this fabulous forum should any other problems arise! Thanks again and thank goodness for the Pearl!!
Richard Bullock
Closed Thread