Old 12-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Warranty Claims with T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Just FYI since I have seen posts about the issue, warranty claims for the Pearl on T-Mobile are handled through T-Mobile, NOT to RIM directly.

Once the tech guy whom I called this morning accepted that we could not fix the issue [speaker stopped working], it took all of two minutes for him to set up sending me a new phone [possibly refurbished although he said they have not been out long enough to send a refurb, but I think I still might].

In response to my request he said I could NOT go to a local T-Mo store to exchange it because they are not set up for that, they only have limited stock. I bet I could have, but I did not care to press the point since I had a working phone.

He gave me two options on shipping, $15 for three business days or sooner, $9.95 for seven business days or sooner.

He then went through a canned speech that I could tell he was reading from a monitor. Main points:

I have 7 days to return the old phone,

Make sure to remove all accessories, sim and microsd cards, and other extras.

The warranty does not cover any software I installed except that bought through T-Mo, in which case they will assist in the install on the new phone, at no charge.

The warranty covers only branded T-Mo phones, identified by the T-Mobile logo on the front of the phone.

If the phone returned shows it is not a T-Mo phone, has water damage, cracked LCD, etc. I will be charged $100 [I found this a strange statement since T-Mo insurance for phone damage has a $110 deductible].

If I do NOT return the phone, my account will be charged $350 [I think that is what he said].

Bonus Tip: I know that they look at one's account history when determining how to respond to warranty claims. They also respond to one's attitude while on the phone. IMHO T-Mo has the most professional, caring customer service of any company in the U.S., but I think the service reps still look at your account history to see if you are trying to pull one over on them.

I have not made claims before and have paid on time and have never been past due on the account. Plus, have probably paid them $5k since with them [they can see that on their screen]. In other words, he could see I was a good customer.

I made a point of being friendly, respectful, but at the same time slightly firm when leading him to the conclusion that I wanted a new phone.

Bonus Tip: I have two 7100t phones that I did not try to sell on eBay. I keep them as spares in the event I ever lose a phone and need to get back on line [especially since I do not have home land lines]. I bought sim cards for $5 on eBay so that I can dial 611 and get the phone activated.

Bonus Tip: Interesting he did NOT tell me to wipe the phone or delete data. Maybe that is covered in the paperwork that comes with the new phone. There are data wiping programs for cell phones, cheap. I plan to buy one of those so to totally destroy the phone's contacts, account information and passwords... oh, and the maps to the local nude bars that have a low cover charge and no drink minimum.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 12-06-2006 at 05:38 PM..
Old 12-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Great note - we've had some ups and downs with corporate returns. They once told us that a VP had to call Customer Care directly (yeah, right) but a quick phone call took care of that. They have generally been very helpful.

And I have a spare 7100t for the same reason...
Old 12-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

I got a replacement 8100 and it was brand new. Also, they say 7 days. I was waiting for my new BSE skin to arrive before I switched phones. They called me after about 10 days and asked if I had sent it yet. I told them what I was doing and they said to call them when I shipped it. And they didn't charge me for shipping.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I have also had very good (similar to the above) experiences with TMobile customer care....Better than any other cell phone provider I've ever had.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

My 8700 was recently replaced becasue of a track wheel issue... T-Mo charged me $100 becasue they say it had water damage.... :rolleyes:

It's in dispute and back on point,

T-Mo has always been very helpfull... Customer service has been great even with this water damage dispute and a previous issue with a battery cover...
Old 12-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
My 8700 was recently replaced becasue of a track wheel issue... T-Mo charged me $100 becasue they say it had water damage.... :rolleyes:

It's in dispute and back on point,

T-Mo has always been very helpfull... Customer service has been great even with this water damage dispute and a previous issue with a battery cover...
Hmm... that seems to confirm what the rep said to me this morning, that on return of the phone if it indicates damage, that they will charge me $100.

That is odd since insuring the phone against damage, loss or theft is $6 monthly with a $110 deductible. Seems that if they find damage to the phone they would say, sorry, warranty will not cover a replacement. Seems that the insurance is only paying for loss or theft if damage is covered under warranty, with a $100 charge.

Maybe they mean light damage would still be covered [with the $100 charge], as opposed to returning a phone that has been run over by a steam roller.

I'm kinda curious what is behind this policy: that if you lie to us on a warranty claim, we see the phone is actually damaged, that we will still replace the phone, but only charge you $100. Odd, especially since most other carriers would tell you to take a hike, big time.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
JMMARICH
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

Hopefully this will make you feel even better about your exchange. I went in last Friday with a phone that had a bum display.

I was nice, and they gave me no hassle. I just got my replacement today and I can tell its a brand new phone. Definitely not a refurb. I also got another battery (also brand new) and a generic phone charger.

Most likely, you will get a new one like me

--Josh
Old 12-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I don't have insurance and the 8700 was still under the 1 year warranty...

The device was never exposed to water or liquid which is why I laughed.. When I sent it back, I did tell them about a scratch on the screen and expected to get charged the 100 because of that. The rep told me today that the scratch on the screen was fine and not why I was charged.. She said the notes indicated the device had the liquid sensor activated. Other than 2 or 3 seconds from car to front door in the rain it's never been exposed to any kind of water or liquid.

I know there are other threads about this and how moisture from a humid day can trip the sensor... No biggie and I expected to be charged because the screen had a scratch on it....

More on point though... T-Mo customer service has been great even with this :rolleyes: exposure to liquid fiasco going on
Old 12-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMARICH
Hopefully this will make you feel even better about your exchange. I went in last Friday with a phone that had a bum display.

I was nice, and they gave me no hassle. I just got my replacement today and I can tell its a brand new phone. Definitely not a refurb. I also got another battery (also brand new) and a generic phone charger.

Most likely, you will get a new one like me

--Josh
Fingers crossed, even though I don't mind a refurb. I'd like new, but I'll take what they give me.

I actually buy refurb on eBay all the time. Usually means that whatever that was wrong with the phone has been fixed and the same problem won't happen to me. Also, many refurbs are simply returns that are in new condition.

One note: as some of you know, many companies wrongly limit the remaining warranty period on a device once a user has made a warranty claim. Some even say, "this one claim is it, warranty is no longer applicable."

But the T-Mo rep made clear that the new phone was covered under the balance of the warranty period, which for me will be late Sept. 2007. By that time I can qualify for a new Pearl at the upgrade price or they will be for sale on eBay for $100, if that.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
kirbo20
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Wow they charge for shipping. That's crap, Cingular offers free shipping.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #11
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmobile

hey san fran i got a new one no refurbs here
Old 12-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #12
kasperapd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo20
I just had to do a warranty exchange on my wife's Pearl, and there was no shipping charge with standard ground shipping. SF, you may want to call them back about this. Didn't cost me anything to ship it back either. Also, they sent a new phone, not a refurb. Good luck to you.

Please try a Search
Old 12-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo20
Yeah, but $15 is a small price to pay for a new phone in three business days. And I believe they include a pre-paid label and box to ship back the old phone.

Not a bad deal to me since they did not give me a hassle on the return.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #14
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd
I just had to do a warranty exchange on my wife's Pearl, and there was no shipping charge with standard ground shipping. SF, you may want to call them back about this. Didn't cost me anything to ship it back either. Also, they sent a new phone, not a refurb. Good luck to you.
Maybe it's a decision each rep can make, waive shipping charges?

I'm not too concerned since $15 barely buys two ****tails in this town and that's only if one intends to screw the server on the tip.

Besides, the problem may be my fault, so I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #15
red_octane_aero
Thumbs Must Hurt

I did a warranty exachange also. The phone I recieved was in WORSE condition that mine! My warranty claim was for the keypad...lights dim in different areas, and like the other was going out. Anyway. When I got my replacement...I opened the box and the sim card holder was floating around the box! WTF?

I tried to put it back on..but it keep coming loose. Seems whoever had it before broke it..and no..this is not a new phone for sure.

Anway...I put my battery in..and the keys are worse then my old one! I call them up..I was very calm and nice...told them what happened...they are shipping me another one.

Overall...Im very happy with T-Mo's team. Oh...and I did have to pay shipping for the first one...but not for the 2nd one.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #16
SanFrancisco

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like your exchange was the type that I mentioned, sometimes people get "returns." At times I have received "refurb" items that were obvious returns.

Guess I can't blame them on this because if a phone looks to be in new condition they should be recycled back to the consumer. But they need to check them out before sending to us.

Sounds like on yours, as you say, the previous owner broke the SIM latch and simply returned it in as new condition without telling T-Mo about the latch.

Your post also confirms that most of the time the "returns dept." does not have time to check the condition of devices returned for one reason or another.

I do know one thing, if the phone I get does not check out, I'm sending it back, like you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_octane_aero
I did a warranty exchange also. The phone I received was in WORSE condition that mine! My warranty claim was for the keypad...lights dim in different areas, and like the other was going out. Anyway. When I got my replacement...I opened the box and the sim card holder was floating around the box! WTF?

I tried to put it back on..but it keep coming loose. Seems whoever had it before broke it..and no..this is not a new phone for sure.

Anway...I put my battery in..and the keys are worse then my old one! I call them up..I was very calm and nice...told them what happened...they are shipping me another one.

Overall...Im very happy with T-Mo's team. Oh...and I did have to pay shipping for the first one...but not for the 2nd one.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #17
SanFrancisco

Default New Phone Arrived

As hoped, the warranty replacement arrived today, which means it was an overnight delivery even though T-Mo allows three business days. And it arrived from Georgia overnight.

I inserted my battery [does not come with a new one], SIM and MicroSD card. Initial inspection indicates:

Looks like a new phone [no signs of use anywhere, not a mark on the phone].

Made in Canada

Newer OS, not the original 42. I may try this out to see how I like or dislike losing auto dim off.

My old battery door fits tight and firmly locks in place.

Keys seem fine, crisp clicking

Fit and finish fine throughout.

Played video, perfect sound and picture.

Headset mode great. Stereo MP3 sound perfect.

All and all I'm one happy camper.

Thanks for all the comments and support.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #18
SanFrancisco

Thanks for posting this. Because of your account, BEFORE sending my phone back to T-Mo I took plenty of pics of the phone, inside and out. Took closeup of the water damage indicators with serial number in the pic. Also took a little video of the phone in operation, sitting next to the new phone.

Took all of two minutes, but figure it's good protection in the event something similar to your situation happens to me.

Funny thing is that because I had BSE skin and the Seidio rubberized case on the phone, once I removed the skin it looks like a new phone, not a mark on it. So much so that I have inserted a post it note inside the phone saying that the speaker does not work.

I am concerned that someone will look at it, test it out [except for the speaker] and think it should be in the "good phone for refurb" pile. Then someone will get it and suffer having to return it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
I don't have insurance and the 8700 was still under the 1 year warranty...

The device was never exposed to water or liquid which is why I laughed.. When I sent it back, I did tell them about a scratch on the screen and expected to get charged the 100 because of that. The rep told me today that the scratch on the screen was fine and not why I was charged.. She said the notes indicated the device had the liquid sensor activated. Other than 2 or 3 seconds from car to front door in the rain it's never been exposed to any kind of water or liquid.

I know there are other threads about this and how moisture from a humid day can trip the sensor... No biggie and I expected to be charged because the screen had a scratch on it....

More on point though... T-Mo customer service has been great even with this :rolleyes: exposure to liquid fiasco going on
Closed Thread