BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #1
mugenr

Model: 7100i
Default I have Cingular and work uses Nextel

Please Login to Remove!

I wasn't too sure what keywords to search this with so if this has been explained, excuse me.

I currently have Cingular and just bought a BB Pearl. I got their Data Unlimited plan as well. Is there a way where I can receive my work email and calander on my phone?

I am an Systems Engineer (not a network admin, I do only partial work on servers) for my office and what we have is Blackberry Enterprise server hooked up with Nextel and a MS exchange server. How do I set up the BES to send me my emails and calander for work?

Thanks for your help,
-Andrew

Last edited by mugenr; 12-12-2006 at 12:31 AM..
Old 12-12-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

If your company has Outlook Webmail, you can use that with the BIS service.

The calendar needs to be sync'd through the desktop manager software on your PC at work where your primary outlook profile is setup.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 12-12-2006, 01:21 AM   #3
mugenr

thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, we do have Webmail, will that work even though I have the Personal plan with Cingular. I was just reading on their site and the Personal Plan doesn't work with BES.

Thanks,
-Andrew
Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 AM   #4
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenr
thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, we do have Webmail, will that work even though I have the Personal plan with Cingular. I was just reading on their site and the Personal Plan doesn't work with BES.

Thanks,
-Andrew
Yes, I don't have BES either and I use the webmail. Just follow the steps for outlook webmail in E-mail setup.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 12-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
mugenr

Awesome, Thank you so much

-Andrew
Old 12-12-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm
If your company has Outlook Webmail, you can use that with the BIS service.

The calendar needs to be sync'd through the desktop manager software on your PC at work where your primary outlook profile is setup.
WARNING!!!
This may be against your company's electronic data policy! You should find out before attempting this as it could be a terminable offense! It is at my company.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

If your company owns and manages your BES, it's not tied to any carrier. They just have to add your Cingular PIN to the BES, assuming that they're willing to do so. My company has Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint all running on the same BES.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD
WARNING!!!
This may be against your company's electronic data policy! You should find out before attempting this as it could be a terminable offense! It is at my company.
Why would it be against your company's policy? It's just like accessing it from the web.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 12-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

It depends on a number of different circumstances and possible rules:

First, if you have to connect to any server that is company owned through a BES server, you need to have permission with using a non-compliant device. If the standard compliant device is Nextel, Cingular's device may not be approved for whatever reasons determined by your company.

Secondly, if you are accessing the internet via web browser and logging in to your Webmail through your browser you should be fine. As stated before, it is no different than accessing the site on your personal PC.

Third, You definately need to check either way. You dont want to put your job in jeapordy based on our recommendations. Its your company and their rules. I would get an OK in writing if I were you.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
mugenr

Our company is not a big corporate company.
I am their Technology Coordinator and we have 5 other people on our tech staff including Web, Net Admin, so forth.
The email and calendar information that would be transfered to my blackberry is not confidential by any means and will not cause a termination of my job.
Me having a blackberry and connecting it with work is not a problem.

i have the personal Data unlimited plan with Cingular, the $29.99 plan, I don't think that it'll work with our BES server will it?

note: I would normally just try it, but I just ordered my BB pearl from cingular last night and i'm curious now hehe

Last edited by mugenr; 12-12-2006 at 02:59 PM..
Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #11
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm
Why would it be against your company's policy? It's just like accessing it from the web.
No, it's not.

First, there's no control over the traffic between the web site and the device. Granted, that should be encrypted, but still not well controlled.

Second, if people circumvent being connected to the BES, they circumvent policy enforcement which means, for example, they don't have to have a password on the device as required by the company to protect the data.

Finally, and most importantly, there's no control over the device when it's lost or stolen - that is, the device can't be remotely wiped and disabled.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

You will not be able to connect to the BES at all with the personal plan. You probably don't even have the "enterprise activation" icon or menu item in Options. Once you get a BES plan that option will appear and then you can connect your device to the BES...assuming the company allows it.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #13
JaxDomino
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
PIN: 249DCCB4

Some of this information valid, although not TRUE. I am a BlackBerry Admin, Email Admin and Network Admin. We have BB's from Nextel, Verizon and Cingular, and have had Sprint's. It doesn't matter what carrier you are with. The BES just needs a PIN. Also, as long as you have a BlackBerry Data Plan with Cingular you should be fine. I think you even get by with the Unlimited Data Plan, but the BB plan is meant to allow communication 100% of the time, due to the Push nature of BES and the BB's. Check with Cingy on the restrictions for that plan. Also, a BB's that is connected to a BES CAN be remotely locked, it can also be remotely wiped. You will also lose some freedom on your devise since the BES Admin will "control" your BB. If it is only 5 of you in IT, you should be good to go. Have your BES Admin hook your BB up to the BES USB port or his PC running BES Admin client and Assign Devise to your email user account. Done! Enjoy!
Old 12-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #14
JaxDomino
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
PIN: 249DCCB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDomino
Some of this information valid, although not TRUE. I am a BlackBerry Admin, Email Admin and Network Admin. We have BB's from Nextel, Verizon and Cingular, and have had Sprint's. It doesn't matter what carrier you are with. The BES just needs a PIN. Also, as long as you have a BlackBerry Data Plan with Cingular you should be fine. I think you even get by with the Unlimited Data Plan, but the BB plan is meant to allow communication 100% of the time, due to the Push nature of BES and the BB's. Check with Cingy on the restrictions for that plan. Also, a BB's that is connected to a BES CAN be remotely locked, it can also be remotely wiped. You will also lose some freedom on your devise since the BES Admin will "control" your BB. If it is only 5 of you in IT, you should be good to go. Have your BES Admin hook your BB up to the BES USB port or his PC running BES Admin client and Assign Devise to your email user account. Done! Enjoy!
I forgot to add that you can also do the Enterprise Activation over the air. BTW, ALL BlackBerries have the Enterprise Activation application. It just may be buried as in the case of the 8100 under Advanced Options in the Settings.
Closed Thread