BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 12:46 AM   #1
terryv94

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Default Vista 32bit and modem use - working?

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone been able to use their BB as a modem under Vista RTM 32bit? This was a fresh install of Vista on a Thinkpad and not an upgrade. I have tried Sprint PCS Connection Manager. It will not install although I can get the USB and RIM virtual serial port driver to install manually. The problem is then it will not see the serial port when trying to add a standard modem. Everything appears to be well when looking at windows device manager.

I have also tried latest desktop 4.2 and installed blackberry connection manager only. Everything installs correctly including 2 RIM virtual serial ports-not sure why 2 come up? A standard modem is added pointing to one of the created RIM virtual serial ports v2 but I cannot get it to work including just a test query on the modem properties pages. Again, it doesn't seem quite right that if you delete the modem, it will not see the RIM virtual serial ports when adding the modem so your stuck.

Thanks for any advice-this is the only problematic issue I have with Vista Business as my daily OS.

Last edited by terryv94; 12-26-2006 at 12:52 AM..
Old 01-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
rrdharan

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have a BlackBerry Pearl (8100), and I ran into the same set of problems. Vista can't see the Bluetooth DUN on the Pearl, *nor* can it correctly recognize the Pearl as a USB modem when connected via USB.

I gave up and switched back to XP, where both cases work perfectly.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
jfattizzi

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I got my 8703e to work on my fresh install of Vista as a modem. it took a while to figure out but it does work. You have to install the BB desktop manager for the drivers and USB modem to install properly. Once you do that, launch desktop manager, connect your device without syncing your contacts, calendar etc. Then create a new dial up connection manually. Search for the correct dial up connection settings for your particular carrier.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
tsalonia
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfattizzi
I got my 8703e to work on my fresh install of Vista as a modem. it took a while to figure out but it does work. You have to install the BB desktop manager for the drivers and USB modem to install properly. Once you do that, launch desktop manager, connect your device without syncing your contacts, calendar etc. Then create a new dial up connection manually. Search for the correct dial up connection settings for your particular carrier.
I also have the 8703e and Vista on my laptop. Could you give specific details on how you did this?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
oaaltone

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsalonia
I also have the 8703e and Vista on my laptop. Could you give specific details on how you did this?
Here's what I did:
blog.aaltonen.us/2007/02/02/blackberry-tethering-in-windows-vista/

Sorry for the lame link, I can't post URLs.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Jasontech

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaaltone
Here's what I did:

thank you very much for taking the time to document this. I am also using the 8703e. Just using the lastest VZaccess manager creates the two virtual ports, but instantly blue screens two fresh Vista installs (1 business, 1 ultimate) when VZaccess manager trys to connect to the virtual com port.

It's amazing that all the 3rd party vendors like Verizon and others are so late in getting their software updated for Vista. It's been on the radar for how long now? I think these vendors were just sticking their heads in the sand hoping Vista would never come to production.

Last edited by Jasontech; 02-02-2007 at 01:17 PM..
Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
ddemarco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaaltone
Here's what I did:

Thanks for the instructions but with the 8703e even after installing desktop 4.2 it never installs a standard modem. When you try to configure the dial up it won't give me an option to choose another modem, because I don't have one. Tried to add hardware modem manually which also did not work. I also get a blue screen the second I run vzaccess, it also blue screens randomly if I just have the blackberry plugged into usb cable.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Jasontech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemarco1
Thanks for the instructions but with the 8703e even after installing desktop 4.2 it never installs a standard modem. When you try to configure the dial up it won't give me an option to choose another modem, because I don't have one. Tried to add hardware modem manually which also did not work. I also get a blue screen the second I run vzaccess, it also blue screens randomly if I just have the blackberry plugged into usb cable.
The same thing happened to me when I first tried. Delete the VZaccess program off the vista install, it only causes issues (BSOD's, locked up my 8703e, etc). Go into device manager and look under ports, remove the 2 Rim virtual serials ports. reboot.

Then install the desktop manager 4.2 which is the same version I used. Plug in the blackberry and let it re-detect the device. It will install the virtual ports again. Setup the DUN connection and choose the standard modem.

oaaltone isn't kidding, it's very picky. Load desktop manager, plug in the blackberry, then initiate the connection. When your done, disconnect from the DUN connection, unplug the blackberry, then close the desktop manager.

Any other sequence and I've managed to BSOD. It works well, kind of a pain, but doable until they release a new VZaccess update.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
ddemarco1

I followed the intsructions and I get the 2 virtual ports but it does not install an additional modem. So when I setup the DUN it defaults to my regualr modem and I have no option to change it because that it is the only modem listed in my device manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasontech
The same thing happened to me when I first tried. Delete the VZaccess program off the vista install, it only causes issues (BSOD's, locked up my 8703e, etc). Go into device manager and look under ports, remove the 2 Rim virtual serials ports. reboot.

Then install the desktop manager 4.2 which is the same version I used. Plug in the blackberry and let it re-detect the device. It will install the virtual ports again. Setup the DUN connection and choose the standard modem.

oaaltone isn't kidding, it's very picky. Load desktop manager, plug in the blackberry, then initiate the connection. When your done, disconnect from the DUN connection, unplug the blackberry, then close the desktop manager.

Any other sequence and I've managed to BSOD. It works well, kind of a pain, but doable until they release a new VZaccess update.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
Slapyo

VZAccess Manager Software Download

Quote:
BlackBerry 7130e, 7250 and 8703e - April '07

Old 02-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
BrooklynzFinest
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I got working using the usb on Vista but cannot get the modem to connect via Bluetooth
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #12
terryv94

Never did get it working under under 4.2 but latest Desktop Manager v4.2.1 released this week worked fine after an uninstall of 4.2, reboot, and fresh install of 4.2.1.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #13
terryv94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynzFinest
I got working using the usb on Vista but cannot get the modem to connect via Bluetooth
Can't do modem use for free via bluetooth-best possibilities I know of are mobishark and brainmurmors - sorry can't post links...

There may be others that someone else can point out or you can search for. Not sure if any are Vista ready.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:29 AM   #14
scaredpoet

Model: iPhon
Carrier: AT&T

Confirmed that I was able to get Blackberry DUN working on my 8703e, under Sprint, with a Windows Vista x64 installation and BB desktop manager. Kudos to RIM for getting out Service Pack 1 so quickly.

It's a shame connection managers haven't been updated by Verizon and Sprint, but in a way, I think I prefer the Desktop and manual DUN method. The connection managers just introduce overhead, and I know Sprint's connection manager had some odd annoyances (like refusing to let you shut down your computer unless you disconnected first).
Old 02-10-2007, 01:43 AM   #15
ddemarco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet
Confirmed that I was able to get Blackberry DUN working on my 8703e, under Sprint, with a Windows Vista x64 installation and BB desktop manager. Kudos to RIM for getting out Service Pack 1 so quickly.

It's a shame connection managers haven't been updated by Verizon and Sprint, but in a way, I think I prefer the Desktop and manual DUN method. The connection managers just introduce overhead, and I know Sprint's connection manager had some odd annoyances (like refusing to let you shut down your computer unless you disconnected first).

Can you post your complete steps?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #16
Slapyo

the site is showing late april now.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #17
flyingphoto

Model: 8703

Just to let everyone know, Verizon has posted a new version of VZaccess for the 8703 and Vista. Installed and works get just right click and run as an administrator!
Closed Thread