Old 01-07-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
Chinookman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: Head....NOT!
Carrier: ATT
Default Silly question on reception

Please Login to Remove!

Any feedback from those that have actually tried those antenna enhancers that attach to the inside of the phone...any success...? If so what did you get and where....if not then thanks for saving me a few bucks....lol...

thanks

C-man
Old 01-07-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
onth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: G PONG
Carrier: AT&T

I have tried it years ago with no success. I am not sure if this thing has improved over the time. I have read somewhere in the forums that a guy said it improves his reception a wee bit.

Let me search around and see if I can still find his post.

Edit: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...hlight=antenna

here you go, it is the second post, by mckinneycm

Last edited by onth; 01-07-2007 at 02:15 AM..
Old 01-07-2007, 02:32 AM   #3
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookman
Any feedback from those that have actually tried those antenna enhancers that attach to the inside of the phone...any success...? If so what did you get and where....if not then thanks for saving me a few bucks....lol...

thanks

C-man
I got those free at times, never have worked.

But I hear that what does work is to fold over about three times some aluminum foil, about the size of your battery, press it firmly flat and place inside your phone, on top of the battery [meaning in between your battery and the battery cover and NOT underneath the battery.

Some people have said their reception increases one to two bars.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Chinookman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
I got those free at times, never have worked.

But I hear that what does work is to fold over about three times some aluminum foil, about the size of your battery, press it firmly flat and place inside your phone, on top of the battery [meaning in between your battery and the battery cover and NOT underneath the battery.

Some people have said their reception increases one to two bars.
Hey now that's something I can try rat...now...!...thanks..I'll report back this evening after some testing and driving around.....

After all just ONE bar would help my web browsing quite a lot...lol... w/ the usual caveat...your bars may vary...

C-man
Old 01-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
jonberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 950

I only get one bar on my Pearl, too.

I put in an antenna booster under the battery but it was worthless.

Thing is, I'm not sure if the bars indicate GPRS/EDGE or GSM reception.

Jon
Old 01-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: iFone
Carrier: AT&T™

Never worked for me.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookman
Hey now that's something I can try rat...now...!...thanks..I'll report back this evening after some testing and driving around.....

After all just ONE bar would help my web browsing quite a lot...lol... w/ the usual caveat...your bars may vary...

C-man
LOL!

If increasing reception were so easy, don't you think that RIM would fold and install that foil before it left the factory?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
LOL!

If increasing reception were so easy, don't you think that RIM would fold and install that foil before it left the factory?
No... I think antennas are what they are within the limitations of the manufacturing process, design and form factor.

Have you ever tried this trick with your car alarm remote or garage door opener:

When from a distance the device won't respond to your pushing the button, stop and place the remote under your chin, to where the remote touches your chin.

Then trying pressing a command button on the remote. The device will then work. Why?

Because your body is acting as an antenna.

Has worked for me countless times.

Fact is, I have never seen such a technique in any owner's manual for a device, it's just something I learned from someone long ago.

So I would not expect RIM to place foil inside the battery compartment nor to mention such in the manual.

And like I said, some people [even in here] have said that the foil increased their reception. It could be that people wanted to see improvement so when they saw the bars increase they attributed it to the foil. I know when I tried it the bars did not increase. My signal strength bars simply continued to increase or decrease whenever my Pearl felt like it.

Side Note: I remember when those fancy looking antenna boosters first came out. They would sell for $15 or more. Now people give them away, include such with low priced accessory packages or sell them for $2 or so.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-07-2007 at 08:31 PM..
Old 01-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #9
Chinookman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
LOL!

Naaaaaahhhh...yah kidding..me.....why..that's about..oh.......$0.01...per unit times a bazzillion units......lost profits....lol.....

C-man
Old 01-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
muzzman1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular Blue

I actually picked up a cell booster for my house....it basically has an "external" antenna that I placed way up in my attic, then ran a coaxial wire to what looks like a wireless router....put that in the middle of my house upstairs, and poof...I have less than -70db at all times (full bars) Not a single dropped call since! It is a GREAT device for me. I'm a computer consultant, and having good reception at my house/office is essential, although i have never really had it in the last 6-7 years that Ive had GSM....the unit I bought was a dual band unit 800mhz & 1900Mz and it was $365 shipped. Made by wi-ex . com
Old 01-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #11
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzman1
I actually picked up a cell booster for my house....it basically has an "external" antenna that I placed way up in my attic, then ran a coaxial wire to what looks like a wireless router....put that in the middle of my house upstairs, and poof...I have less than -70db at all times (full bars) Not a single dropped call since! It is a GREAT device for me. I'm a computer consultant, and having good reception at my house/office is essential, although i have never really had it in the last 6-7 years that Ive had GSM....the unit I bought was a dual band unit 800mhz & 1900Mz and it was $365 shipped. Made by wi-ex . com
Interesting solution. My girlfriend lives in Redwood Shores, about three blocks from Oracle headquarters.

When in her first floor condo my T-Mo phone gets no signal. Her Verizon phone gets 1 bar and her calls drop most of the time.

You would think being so close to Oracle that any and all signals would work.

She owns the condo, but I don't know if she would be willing to pay $365 for a signal. Did you by any chance consider lower cost options, ones that would give a better signal, but not to the level of a $365 device?

I'd like to be able to use my phone when I'm in her place. At times I have not visited because I knew my phone would not be working, which is unacceptable in today's times, especially for an crackberry addict.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #12
muzzman1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular Blue

SF, your guess would be as good as mine.....this was the lease expensive one I could find...for me....it is priceless....now I look forward to being home cause I know Ill have PERFECT reception!
Closed Thread