BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Chin

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone
Question Software Configuration not working all the time

Please Login to Remove!

Hi wondering if anyone can help explain to me the software configuration part of BES 4.1.2

Unless I'm mistaken I should be able to create a configuration and 're-flash' the device from within Blackberry manager with a Blackberry connected via USB cable.

Please note I’m not currently adding any additional software this is just for re flashing the blackberry with it’s own firmware or update supplied by service provider.

I'm getting mixed results.

Here's what I’ve done to create the software configuration:

I have the following folder structure in place

UNC path \Blackberry Firmware\Research In Motion (this is a network drive not local on the BES)

Under this folder are subfolders
AppLoader
RIMDeviceManager
Shared
USB Drivers

Under Shared\loader Files I have a further 4 directories containing device related firmware.
\7130.0-v4-1.0.351_p210.34 etc etc (these folders contain the expanded firmware files from our provider Vodafone)

On the BES I have created new software configurations for each device (8100, 7130v, 8700) and the device software location points to the above: UNC path \Blackberry Firmware\Research In Motion.
I can then expand a configuration and untick any unwanted items such as languages, password keeper, blackberry messenger.

All seems fine.

Using Blackberry Manager to connect to the BES from a PC with full Security Administrator Authority I connect a blackberry via USB.
In explorer view I click Local Ports (Device management)
Highlight the connected device
Click Load Handheld
Select the appropriate software configuration
Enter the password if prompted (device password)
Under detailed Status it communicates with the device and then comes back as saying 'your device's software has been updated successfully.'
When it's actually done nothing.
If I nuke the device and then try the above again it comes back saying the device software is up to date. (when there's nothing on it!)

However if I nuke the device again and it can go through the whole load handheld process and re-flash the device with the firmware successfully – but not every time I c recreate this scenario.

I don't understand why it's this flaky.

The reason I'm trying this is we are shortly going to be moving from BES 2.2 to BES 4.1.2.
We currently use Desktop Manager and due to problems we have with this thought it would be better for the support team to have one bit of software (Blackberry Manager) to create, administer users, and also be able to re-flash the device this way if need be.

Also as we will be rolling out a couple of hundred new handsets it would nice to remove some unwanted apps this way.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many Thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin
Hi wondering if anyone can help explain to me the software configuration part of BES 4.1.2

Unless I'm mistaken I should be able to create a configuration and 're-flash' the device from within Blackberry manager with a Blackberry connected via USB cable.

Please note I’m not currently adding any additional software this is just for re flashing the blackberry with it’s own firmware or update supplied by service provider.

<snip>

Anyone have any ideas?

Many Thanks
I've never known a BB to take a f/ware update OTA and didn't think it could be done, TBH.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
kpoland
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwhite
I've never known a BB to take a f/ware update OTA and didn't think it could be done, TBH.
They can't take OS upgrades / reinstalls OTA. But I think he's trying to do it via USB.

Basically, you're making it much more difficult than it needs to be. You don't need a software configuration. All that will do is prompt the user at their desk to upgrade their device (assuming you've pushed the correct version of the handheld OS to their desktop). It can't go OTA, so I don't believe it can be remotely hosted.

That said, I manage about 700 devices in about 12 offices along the east coast. We had to upgrade most (500+) of those devices when we moved to Exchange 2003, because there was a problem with 4.0.0 OS and Exchange...

Anyway, grab a laptop, install the proper versions of the OS on it and just rock with that. MUCH easier than trying to do it through the BES.
"Sink or Swim" Educated
Old 03-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Chin

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi,

Thanks for your replies...

I'm not trying to do OTA...

Just thought it might be nice to use Blackberry Manager for everything.....

I might try a couple mroe tests..

Might have to resort to bad old Desktop Manager.. :(

Thanks again - input always gratefully received
Closed Thread