Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
TheYoshi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Screen protector for 8800

Please Login to Remove!

I know screen protectors have been discussed in the forum but couldn't find much specific to the 8800.

I ordered one from Invisibleshield already but then saw that Stinsonddog has found them to leave residue and be a pain to put on which concerns me. I like the idea of the ScreenPatronus mentioned on Stinsondog's page but I am concerned with a "stiff" protector on the 8800 as it will either have to stop short of the top edge where the screen "wraps" around to the top of the device or be flexible enough to wrap with the screen without tending to pull itself off.

Is anyone using a screen protector out there on the 8800 yet and if so which one and how does it fit?

Thanks,

Yoshi

sorry for not putting in an actual link to stinsondog's page, apparently you can't until you've posted 10 times.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

How funny the pop-up add below is for IS.

I have used IS protectors and they are IMO, some of the more user-friendly to install. Make sure you have a lint-free cloth and have cleaned your screen prior to installation. If you need more "solution", just use some warm water with some (just a bit) dishsoap added. The IS protectors are much more "gooey" than the hard screen covers you may be used to. I like this. I have installed them and later removed them and they leave no real residue. When installing, just make sure you have a pretty wet screen so you can move the shield around prior to "locking" it down. You will also want to possibly use the lint-free cloth to catch the fluid that comes out from underneath as you use the tool to get all the air bubbles out.

I have been using an IS screen protector for the video iPod on my 8800 as I don't like them to go to the top of my phone. However, I have recently removed the one I just put on as I think I did a bad job of installing it as it was not as clear as I would like (never really been dissatisfied with IS in the past - used on PSP, GPS, iPod, etc). If you normally use screen covers, IS makes a very good product and is on par with regards to clarity as any of its competitors. I just personally am trying something else (Plexus) as like in other things in life, too much protection can take away some of the fun. The screen of the 8800 is super-sexy and glossy and I am kinda diggin' seeing it unprotected.

Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I'm using the IS full body protector and have no problems with it other than the side pieces bulging a bit due to the cut. Otherwise the fit is perfect (including cirved surfaces). It's a bit tricky to apply but I definitely recommend it. People have said that the material for the BSE is identical.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
dooks88

Model: 8900

My IS full body protector will be here today for my 8800 and ipod. I have heard great things about them. Hopefully I can install them without a hitch.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Dawgfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooks88
My IS full body protector will be here today for my 8800 and ipod. I have heard great things about them. Hopefully I can install them without a hitch.
The key to the IS install is plenty of solution so you can move it around, and when you start "ironing" it down to get all the bubbles out, do not press too hard as to wear at the screen cover. When you get it where you like it, you can even put some solution on the top while you are pressing it so you don't tug on the screen cover itself too much and possibly mess up your alignment. Remember, "iron" from the middle to the edges and I use a lint-free cloth to dabble away the solution that comes out the edges.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: ATT

I use BestSkinsEver. Great all-over protection.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
UCLAKoolman

I just bought a pda screen protector pack at staples. Came in a pack of ten, and I just cut a sheet to fit the screen, rendering my 8800 club-ready! Plus with ten sheets, I don't feel bad about tearing them off after a week or two
Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRider
I use BestSkinsEver. Great all-over protection.
Same here. Never had any problems with BSE.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:29 AM   #9
TheYoshi

I'm not a giant fan of the whole-body shields and tend to just go with screen protectors. Those of you who have experience with invisible shield does it in fact leave a residue? The other thing that would be nice is a skin that doesn't really get finger prints, etc. or at least doesn't show them.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #10
resin_dr.

Carrier: rogers

i am using the palm screen protectors.....cut it to size and then placed it on. it provides a good but not the best solution. i did the same thing with the 8700...to get a template, place the 8800 in a photocopier and make a copy, you can trace the shape of the screen and then use it as a template to cut out the screen saver....however, there is a little distortion from the photocopy, but you can adjust on the fly considering the palm packs come with quite a few screen savers.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #11
mdlissner

Carrier: AT&T

Got Inisible Shield for my 8800. Installation was okay. I had a hard time with the pieces for the sides. I could not get the ends to stay as flat as I would like.

Other than that they have a nice feel and are not noticible.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
zigschwartz

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoshi View Post
I'm not a giant fan of the whole-body shields and tend to just go with screen protectors. Those of you who have experience with invisible shield does it in fact leave a residue? The other thing that would be nice is a skin that doesn't really get finger prints, etc. or at least doesn't show them.
Use Best Skins instead of Invisi Shield. Same thing but half the price.

They don't leave any residue when removed, but do show some finger prints. I just wipe it with my shirt sleeve.

The full body Best Skin for the 8800 is mediocre - the parts covering the chrome sides don't stay on too well. I don't use these parts, just the front and back shields.

I put BSEs on my old 8700 2 years ago and I had the same set on when I retired the unit.

I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people.

Last edited by zigschwartz; 04-28-2007 at 11:00 AM..
Old 04-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Installed a BSE last night on the 8800..... BSE rule!!! I did not put the sides on though..... Looks great and I never have a BB without a BSE on it.......
Closed Thread