Old 04-25-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
samsam206

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default apple and pearl newbie question

Please Login to Remove!

hey folks,
I received my new pearl today. So far I havent did much to it. I am just playing around with it til i get use to the functions. I want the blackberry to be sync with my ical, and address book. I looked on the cd and I didnt find anything I could install. my question is, I am a mac user and this is my first blackberry. How do I sync my apple and bb?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 AM   #2
agoodey

Carrier: Orange UK

Go to the blackberry website and download pocketmac - it is a free download, but once you have installed it check these forums for the hints/tips - it is not the best software in the world but it does work...
Old 04-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
mockfrog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Telstra
Default OSX and Blackberry and iCal etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam206 View Post
hey folks,
I received my new pearl today. So far I havent did much to it. I am just playing around with it til i get use to the functions. I want the blackberry to be sync with my ical, and address book. I looked on the cd and I didnt find anything I could install. my question is, I am a mac user and this is my first blackberry. How do I sync my apple and bb?

Thanks,
Sam
Hi Sam:

Likewise, running a Mac with OSX (G4 with Panther). I downloaded PocketMac from Blackberry site

BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac

and all looks okay: iCal, Stickies, To Do all fine. Address Book haven't tried yet as it is a few hundred people.

I would have tried Missing Sync for the Blackberry, which is on Beta, at

Mark/Space · Beta Versions Being Tested

but the requirement is Tiger OSX and I only have Panther.

When I had a Treo 750 I couldn't get the Missing Sync for Windows 5 or Palm to work, so that's one of the reasons why I went BlackBerry.

Good luck

Matt

Old 04-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
citrixmeta

Carrier: rogers
Default apps?

do u guys know if we are able to load apps using those utils (like the windows BB desktop manager)?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
shuffle

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrixmeta View Post
do u guys know if we are able to load apps using those utils (like the windows BB desktop manager)?
No you can't load apps yet. Hopefully the mark/space product will evolve to that in the near future.

FWIW -> I wouldn't touch pocketmac. Go and buy the mark/space BB sync product. It is 100% better, and syncs itunes / iphoto, etc...even if it didn't have the added feature set I would be using it - way more reliable and dependable than the pocketmac junk.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

I use the new missing sync product from Markspace. It's not in Beta any more. It sync flawlesly with Mac OS X (Tiger). You can even mark photos in iphoto and it resizes them for the screen. It's great!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
iHemiola

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam206 View Post
hey folks,
How do I sync my apple and bb?
Thanks,
Sam
Sam, What Mac are you running? The recent update to 10.4.9 supposedly has some Sync Services updates.

*The easy way is if you have an Intel Mac and can boot into Windows. Then your supplied CD becomes useful.

*The way that Just Works(tm) is still a work in progress from all I've been reading and working. The crucial thing is to backup your iCal and Address Book prior to doing anything with these 3rd party apps. Choose your 3rd-party app and work slowly, reviewing syncs for deltas. The most changes I see are in Categories and Tasks. If you don't use those then your work is easier.

The cool thing I'm finding about the BB is that we have a paradigm shift (ugh, sorry) from sorting by category to finding things by search. And the 8100 is search oriented. You may not need categories or tasks. The BB is a search-driven device. Start typing and your contacts will rise to the top of the list.

*Buy a 1 GB microSD card from newegg for $12. I can't get my Mac to recognize the internal memory. The external memory seems to make for a happier BB/Mac sync.

After all that, check out the Yojimbo product from the Barebones software folks. Yojimbo will sync well with the BB and make for a nice PIM manager on your Mac. Yeah, it's a bit pricey for a 1.0 release but check it out. It, too, is search based rather than directory oriented.

HTH,
Rob
Old 04-26-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
samsam206

Carrier: T-Mobile

thanks everyone for replying so quick. i learn a lot.

Let see, I am running panther on my mac. Basically, I am just doing the basic on my pearl. I dont think I will be adding additional softwares to my phone yet. The ical and pearl is all I need for now. I downloaded pocketmac but I havent sync it with my phone. Anything I should know before I sync it?

Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
citrixmeta

Carrier: rogers

just an FYI, you CAN load/uninstall apps using the POCKETMAC syncmanager.

click on utilities/ install software to device and bam, works like a charm.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

I echo the comments that Missing Sync from Markspace works VERY well. I read bad things about Pocket Mac - so I just skipped it all together.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:09 AM   #11
vnmark

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default OSX with ms exchange server

*The easy way is if you have an Intel Mac and can boot into Windows. Then your supplied CD becomes useful.

Question from a Mac user with Parallels.... I use windows to access Outlook2007, which my company uses on an ms exchange server and they support BES. I also tend to use entourage quite a bit (since I don't have to open parallels to get to my email) and my entourage is synced with the exchange server also.

I'm new to BB and am confused about the desktop software. Since my BB syncs wirelessly to my exchange server, I haven't installed the desktop software out of fear that it would try to sync thru that also and mess things up (email, contacts, etc.). Is this silly?

The problem is that I want to be able to download iTunes and photos from the Mac to the BB. Any suggestions on how I should do this? (bluetooth takes too long) Can I install the desktop software and not enable the sync feature? Or is there another method/software that would work better for my situation.

Thanks,
Mark
BB8800/OSX 10.4.9
Closed Thread