BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
st8ofmi9d
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Which T-Mobile Blackberry to get?

Please Login to Remove!

I have been waiting to replace my 7100t but so far I have yet to see a Blackberry with all the features I want. I've been searching the forums but I'm unsure as to which unit will best meet my needs.

I want a blackberry that works on t-mobile, supports wifi and has GPS. I've gotten used to suretype so while a full keyboard is nice, it is not necessary.

I want wifi because I can't get reception in my house and I would like to do away with my landline. Now that T-mobile has launched T-mobile @ home that should help me solve one of my "needs". I have to admit that I'm disappointed that they are charing $9.99 a month extra and I would guess that is per phone on my family plan.

The GPS is just a want but it might turn into a don't want if what I've heard about having to pay a monthly fee is correct. Is it true that I would have to pay extra to use the GPS feature even if I'm using something like Google Maps for Mobile?

A camera really isn't anything that I care about.

Which future T-mobile phones will meet my needs?

Thank you!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
jwolf7722
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint

No blackberry has Wifi and GPS that I know of. I like my 8700 but if I was you I would wait for the curve to drop.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

I havent had a chance to update my profile, but I went out and purhcased a 8800. It is very very nice, worth a look at. Or if you're patient enough, then 8320, to be released here real soon.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
st8ofmi9d
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Default 8800 with WiFi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
I havent had a chance to update my profile, but I went out and purhcased a 8800. It is very very nice, worth a look at. Or if you're patient enough, then 8320, to be released here real soon.
I agree that the 8800 is nice but does it have WiFi?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Driften

Model: 8900

At this moment TMO does not sell a BB with WiFi... But if you can wait they should at some point later this year. You may have to wait for the Perl2 but you might get lucky and the TMO version of the Curve could have it. But just becouse a phone has WiFi does not mean it will work with the new @home service.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by st8ofmi9d View Post
I have been waiting to replace my 7100t but so far I have yet to see a Blackberry with all the features I want. I've been searching the forums but I'm unsure as to which unit will best meet my needs.

I want a blackberry that works on t-mobile, supports wifi and has GPS. I've gotten used to suretype so while a full keyboard is nice, it is not necessary.

I want wifi because I can't get reception in my house and I would like to do away with my landline. Now that T-mobile has launched T-mobile @ home that should help me solve one of my "needs". I have to admit that I'm disappointed that they are charing $9.99 a month extra and I would guess that is per phone on my family plan.

The GPS is just a want but it might turn into a don't want if what I've heard about having to pay a monthly fee is correct. Is it true that I would have to pay extra to use the GPS feature even if I'm using something like Google Maps for Mobile?

A camera really isn't anything that I care about.

Thank you!
T-Mobile is rolling out a service that allows you to make and receive calls from your cell phone over any wireless network (any wireless router). it also allows seamless transition. This is great for college kids because campuses are all wireless now and they can make and receive calls via the wireless network, instead of using up their cell phone minutes.

this service will be in addition to any plan, and unfortunately the new blackberry curve will not have this feature. the two phones that will be tested for this new service will be a Nokia and a Samsung

if you need a blackberry, i would wait until the T-Mobile version of the Curve comes out...which shouldnt be too long
Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
As others have already said there's no current model that has WiFi and GPS. If you're shopping now then you'll have to drop the WiFi requirement and go with the 8800 if you want GPS (though you can use a BT GPS puck with any bluetooth BB). You can look at all current models on the TMO and Blackberry.com websites. The latter even has a tool that allows you to compare models side-by-side. However, don't discount the matter of the keyboard as it's a very subjective matter and keyboards vary a bit even among the full qwerty models.

Quote:
Now that T-mobile has launched T-mobile @ home that should help me solve one of my "needs". I have to admit that I'm disappointed that they are charing $9.99 a month extra and I would guess that is per phone on my family plan.
I can understand not being happy with having to pay for UMA but I don't see why you thought any carrier would offer it for free given how they all nickel and dime you for everything.

Quote:
If you look in any GPS thread you'll find this same information:

- The GPS receiver doesn't require data. It uses GPS satellites for positioning. All you need is line of sight to several satellites for a lock.
- For GPS to actually be useful, however, you must have a data plan as currently no GPS app comes with preloaded maps on a microSD card. If you can navigate with just latitude and longitude then you would be fine without a data plan.
- What you pay depends on the GPS app you use. Some are free. Some are not. As you would expect, most of the free options aren't as fully featured as their pay counterparts.

BBMaps is free but I've always had trouble with it getting satellite locks and timely updates on my 8800. No other GPS app I've used on my 8800 has had as much trouble. YMMV.

Google Maps is free and it's a great app with GPS support but I don't consider it suitable for in-car navigation.

I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with Mapquest Navigator's pricing but it does have turn-by-turn and voice prompts.

I've found Telenav to have the features that I want for in-car navigation such as turn-by-turn, voice prompts, and quick rerouting. However, it is $10/month.

Quote:
Again, if a carrier hasn't made an announcement then there's no telling. The usual sources tend to have some pretty decent information but without a carrier announcement everything you hear is just speculation. Keep that in mind when making a purchase decision based on such info as many have been disappointed by overhyping themselves on inaccurate leaked info or by making the wrong assumptions.

From what I can tell, the 83XX that TMO is releasing is just the plain ol' 8300. However, a lot of TMO BB users are assuming that the rollout of UMA means that TMO is getting the 8320. Only time will tell if you decide to wait for it. I'm not sure why everyone is recommending that you wait for the Curve as we have no idea if TMO's will be the 8320 (I'd think that a different model would get a different name) and you haven't stated that a camera is a "must have". People seem to be just blindly recommending the Curve to everyone regardless of their actual needs/wants.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-28-2007 at 08:22 AM..
Closed Thread