Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t
Default Pearl build quality: AT&T branded vs. Cingualr branded

Please Login to Remove!

AT&T sent me a new AT&T branded Pearl for free (instead of a warranty replacement/refurbished). So far, I've noticed that the keyboard and the trackball are much looser on the AT&T branded device than on the Cingular branded device.

For example, if I lightly tap the "5" key, all of the keys around it move a little bit toward the 5 key. This didn't happen on my Cingular branded device. Also, if I rock the Pearl back and forth, the white ring that holds it in place moves quite a bit, too. On the Cingular branded Pearl, the white ring doesn't move no matter how hard I wiggle the Pearl.

Has anyone else noticed these types of issues? The device seems to work great, but I'm concerned that the keys/pearl may pop off or something after a little use. I could call AT&T and ask them to replace it, but they've already sent me a brand new device for free and I don't want to push it if I don't have to.

Any advice? Comments from at&t reps would be especially welcome.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Terrain
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
AT&T sent me a new AT&T branded Pearl for free (instead of a warranty replacement/refurbished). So far, I've noticed that the keyboard and the trackball are much looser on the AT&T branded device than on the Cingular branded device.

For example, if I lightly tap the "5" key, all of the keys around it move a little bit toward the 5 key. This didn't happen on my Cingular branded device. Also, if I rock the Pearl back and forth, the white ring that holds it in place moves quite a bit, too. On the Cingular branded Pearl, the white ring doesn't move no matter how hard I wiggle the Pearl.

Has anyone else noticed these types of issues? The device seems to work great, but I'm concerned that the keys/pearl may pop off or something after a little use. I could call AT&T and ask them to replace it, but they've already sent me a brand new device for free and I don't want to push it if I don't have to.

Any advice? Comments from at&t reps would be especially welcome.

Thanks
This doesnt sound like a 'new' device to me...
Old 08-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

theres 2 different types of builds.... I thought only the service is different; not device.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
Spectral
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23FA9743
Carrier: T-Mobile

Can you check where your device was made? It should say on a sticker next to the SIM. I wonder if there's a way to find out when it was made as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

I have the Cingular breanded Pearl and it was made in Mexico. I do not have any of the issues that you are describing, had it since dec 06.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:59 AM   #6
xmulder
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100c
Carrier: at&t

I got my at&t branded Pearl a couple weeks ago and the keys/pearl wasn't loose like how you described. It is possible they sent you a refurb as my co-worker got one and it did feel a bit more loose (the keypad) than mine. Mine is also made in Mexico.

My pearl is the red version though so YMMV.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
shim022

Carrier: AT&T

i got two att branded phones in the last 3 weeks (one got replaced by another). the first one was fine, but the new one i got makes a small cracking noise when i push down on the left side of the phone. other than that, the build quality seems ok so far. mine is also made in mexico.
Closed Thread