BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
tmatys

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Interested in Bluetooth Headset, Any Suggestions?

Please Login to Remove!

I am hearing good aboout the Motorola H700, I tried one on at lunch time and it seems to stay and is comfortable. I had a Jabra BT150, I did not like the sound, controls, no voice activation, uncomfortable to wear.

I heard once you pair the Motorola H700 just by opening and closing it connects and disconnects instead of having to do that from your phone.

Any experience with this, or anybody suggest another type?

Thank-You.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
zparcell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have a Platronics Voyager 510. They sell it in stores for about $80. I found it on Ebay for $30, brand new, great headset.

Currently: 8700g
Former: 7105t
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t

Agree on the Plantronics. I have a different model, but it is the only maker I have found with a decent combination of volume level, voice quality, and comfort.

I hate the Motorolas because I can never hear with them unless I am in a quiet room and the Jabras were just bad...2 didn't work out of the box and the voice quality on the third was awful.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
zparcell

Model: 8700g

The Platronics 510 has a nice "in-ear" feature and it seems very loud for myself. I always like using a bluetooth but hate not being able to hear people. I have had no complaints on either end with this headset.

Currently: 8700g
Former: 7105t
Old 08-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

I'd also recommend the Voyager 510.

Have you looked in the Bluetooth forum at all? There's a ton of information and reviews there.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
jr956678

Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T

I have a Plantronics 510 - good headset, sounds good to both caller and callee (is that a word???). Too hard to get on my ear though - takes 2 hands. I need to be able to hold the phone to one ear and put the headset on with the other one-handed and pick up the call on the headset while it's in progress.

So, I got a Plantronics 665 - also a good headset, audio not quite as good IMHO as the 510 - easy to put in ear (I don't use the hook only the earbud) and it stays securely - but the range is not so good - static unless the phone (8100) is close to the headset and even then it's sometimes noisy where the 510 was quite.

So, I just got a Blackberry HS-655 - best of both - sounds better than the 665, no static and better range.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
Swede
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

I have the Jabra BT5020 on my 8703. So far all is well.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Plantronics 510 and Aliph Jawbone.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr956678 View Post
I have a Plantronics 510 - good headset, sounds good to both caller and callee (is that a word???). Too hard to get on my ear though - takes 2 hands.
Interesting -- I have no problems putting it on with one hand. The trick is to hold it in one hand so you can push slightly on the battery pack and slide it down the back of your ear (starting near the top). Think of rotating it into place.

Your former point is a big reason why I chose the 510 and most people (especially reviewers) don't bother to check how audio is for the person on the other end. It's an important thing to consider unless your phone calls are only placed to automated systems...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
Stevekatz

Model: 9930

I have the 510. Very happy with it, it works for 2 phones so i use it with my bberry and offfice phone.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr956678 View Post
I have a Plantronics 510 - good headset, sounds good to both caller and callee (is that a word???). Too hard to get on my ear though - takes 2 hands. I need to be able to hold the phone to one ear and put the headset on with the other one-handed and pick up the call on the headset while it's in progress.

So, I got a Plantronics 665 - also a good headset, audio not quite as good IMHO as the 510 - easy to put in ear (I don't use the hook only the earbud) and it stays securely - but the range is not so good - static unless the phone (8100) is close to the headset and even then it's sometimes noisy where the 510 was quite.

So, I just got a Blackberry HS-655 - best of both - sounds better than the 665, no static and better range.

Interesting - you seem to like the Blackberry more than the 665...but aren't they both essentially the same? (at least the plantronics 655 and the BB version?).

I was wondering about the diffs between the plantronics 655 and 665, and also about the diffs between the BB version and the "native" plantronics version of the 655. Any insights?

(btw: I have a jawbone - pairs beautifully, good range and volume - but the fit is awful, even with the jabra mini gel retrofit mod - I would love to like this earphone, but find it very annoying for long term use. also have an HS850 and a cardo scala - but none of these do it for me. still looking!)
Old 08-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
davi20d

Model: 8300
Carrier: att
Default Bluetooth headset

Mots are junk...so are plantronics...the BEST headset is the Invisio B3. Small, lite, fits directly in your ear don't even know its there. Very loud also. Not cheap, but better than the rest, believe me I spent many many hours researching this. Originally had the Bluespoon, great headset, poor construction. the Invisio B3 comes from the same company, but they made the battery compartment sealed so the unit is solid.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

I found the moto's have low volume, making them almost useless in a loud area. Won't go back to them anytime soon.

Was curious about BlueAnt Z9...anyone try this?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #14
Ennjay

Model: 8830

I went through the search a few months back when I still had my Treo. Seeing as my Treo blew when it came to using a bluetooth, I bought and returned about 10 different models to find the one that fit me best. That unfortunately is the key. No one bluetooth works best for everyone.

I ended up with the LG730 and I'm very happy with it. Very small and light weight. VERY loud compared to most of the other ones I tried, and I've been told I can be heard easily on the other end. I find that it is comfortable and doesn't move around at all when you move your head. Best of all, it doesn't get all staticy if I go more than 5 feet away. I believe this was more a Treo problem, not any of the bluetooths problem. It does indicate though, that this headset has probably got a little stronger signal. The only fault I'd have with it, is that it's talk time (which is not really bad) is not as great as the others, but I think that is probably due to its size.

Again, find what fits best for you though. I'm just chiming in to let you know to give this one a chance.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

thanks Ennjay - good detailed post - I appreciate that. Definitely considering this as an option. Also found another post/review published by the Daily Gadget on this:
Daily Gadget: LG HBM-730 Bluetooth Headset

Will check this out...
Old 08-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #16
sviel

Model: 7520
Carrier: Sprint-Nextel
Default VMX BT150 Blue Parrott

If you're looking for what I call the best noise cancelling, best frequency response and outstanding volume control I recommend this one. It's not an over-the-ear unit but more an over-the-head. When I'm in the office or in my car I always use the Blue Parrott. I use a Jabra everywhere else.

My reason for liking the Blue Parrott is that I want my clients and business associates to hear me as if I was sitting in a quiet office and not sound like I'm on a speaker phone or hear all the background noise you get from all the others. I've even purchased the Jawbone and although the noise cancellation is good the microphone makes you sound like you're in a tunnel. I recommend you really think about what you want the person on the other end of the phone to hear before deciding which BT headset to purchase.

I personally get irritated when listening to someone that sounds like their either in a tunnel or in downtown Manhattan. To me that's just rude unless absolutely necessary.

If you need more information on the Blue Parrott, cost ($99) or where to buy just let me know.

If you sell BT headsets I can hook you up. They're great for the trucking/transportation industry. They're sold in all of the major truck stops nationwide.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #17
curriertech
Thumbs Must Hurt

I had a Plantronics 510 and loved it, but it took a joyride through the washer/dryer and that was the end of a good time. I just ordered the Blackberry HS655 (modified Plantronics 655) which will hopefully be here tonight. If I don't like it, I will definitely go back to the 510. I tried the Jawbone but it didn't fit me well at all.

Last edited by curriertech; 08-16-2007 at 07:50 PM..
Old 08-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #18
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

@sviel - Steve: thanks - good information. I found the Blue Parrot as the VXI B150. I imagine the sound / noise / etc is good - but I need something I can wear on the street, etc - and can't wear something that big. Might be good in the car, though. Here's a picture for anyone curious:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B150_TK_TN.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	8848  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:47 AM   #19
LarryH
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
I found the moto's have low volume, making them almost useless in a loud area. Won't go back to them anytime soon.

Was curious about BlueAnt Z9...anyone try this?
I just got a Z9 (the first day it was available, actually.) I haven't had time to put it through any paces other than placing a few simple phone calls.

I have a ton of BT headsets and, to some degree or other, like them all for different reasons. My current and long-time favorite is my Jabra JX10, despite the fragile earhook.

I bought a Blueant Supertooth Light speakerphone for my car and have been generally impressed by it. It lacked a few features here and there but motivated me to order the Z9.

The design is beautiful and, if it works as advertised, it should be a winner. I'll put it through its paces over the next few days and report back. I was pleased to see that the Z9 has everything I felt I was missing from the Supertooth Light (handles call waiting, unlike Plantronics headsets and has a disconnect tone which the Supertooth lacks.)

FWIW, I bought it at Mobile City Online. You can read up on it at BlueAnt Wireless North America - Bluetooth hands free, car kits and mobile communication devices for the USA.

Last edited by LarryH; 08-17-2007 at 12:50 AM..
Old 08-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #20
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Thx Larry... I've been through too many BT headsets, and never quite found one I could live with, and it's discouraging to essentially cough up $80 to $100each time to discover another disappointment. Would be nice if I could try about a dozen of them for about two weeks, and only pay for the one I like most (I'd even return the others). But that's not likely to happen.

I've been reading up on the Z9, and it sounds good - except I'm a bit concerned reading that the earpiece has been reported as being a bit large and uncomfortable - which is one of my issues with the Jawbone, and why I resorted to experimenting with a Jabra mini gel to replace the stock Jawbone earpiece (with only limited success).

Would be nice to see a Z9 and try it before buying... but short of that, I'll be looking for other people's reviews and trying to get a sense of it from that. Curious to hear about your experience with it.
Closed Thread