Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
Adikari
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Default Simulate MIDP Push Using MDS Simulator

Please Login to Remove!

Hi:

I am trying to simulate MIDP2.0 push using MDS simulator. For example if I create a java app that listens on the Blackberry SMS port or waits for on a socket port, will I be able to simulate sending an SMS message / socket message to MDS simulator. Someone please clarify.

Thanks,
Adikari
Old 06-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
mmkl

both should work.
i've only tried the socket-connection.
my midlet prompts the blackberry-user to register on a servlet, the registration at the PushRegistry is done automaticaly after the servlet registration.
the servlet stores the blackberry's ip and then opens a socket-connection with an output-stream to the blackberry.
this connections invokes the midlets startApp()-method.

beside the articles and examples on sun's j2me pages, you can look at this page
corej2me - DeveloperResources

the only blackberry specific think to keep on mind is setting the ;deviceside=true for registration at the PushRegsitry.

hopes that helps you
mmkl
Old 06-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Adikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkl
both should work.
i've only tried the socket-connection.
my midlet prompts the blackberry-user to register on a servlet, the registration at the PushRegistry is done automaticaly after the servlet registration.
the servlet stores the blackberry's ip and then opens a socket-connection with an output-stream to the blackberry.
this connections invokes the midlets startApp()-method.

beside the articles and examples on sun's j2me pages, you can look at this page
corej2me - DeveloperResources

the only blackberry specific think to keep on mind is setting the ;deviceside=true for registration at the PushRegsitry.

hopes that helps you
mmkl
Hi:

Thanks for the response. Could you please clarify if you tried with a Blackberry device or with the Blackberry simulator that comes with the JDE?

I would also like to know what is the servlet that you are talking about? Could you also point me to a sample code for Blackberry MIDP2.0 Push?

Thanks,
Adikari
Old 06-03-2005, 04:52 AM   #4
mmkl

my application works fine with the simulator.
with a real blackberry, the application is able to register the pushregistry, but have some problems with our firewall and security-policy. im just fixing this...

the servlet iss a simple java-servlet, that runs on a tomcat and accepts registrations via a http-get and then retrieves customer-related and -configured data from our info-server via xml and pushes these data to the blackberry (and so i'm not allowed to publish that code :( ).

you will find a well dokumented sample at the link i already posted(see "Implementing Push Technology") and the sample at
sun's developer-page is also good.

mmkl
Old 06-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #5
Adikari

Hi:

I tired the static MIDP Push registration and am getting the following error during the Blackberry simulator startup:

javax.microedition.io.ConnectionNotFoundException: socket://:50000 doesn't support push

Could you please tell me what might be the problem. I used the "StreamConnection" to open the socket connection as mentioned in the javadocs for the "Connector" class.

The MIDP-Push-1 property used in the jad file is as follows:

MIDlet-Push-1: socket://:50000, PushMIDlet, *

Can some one tell me what port I should for opening push connection? Should I use the param, "deviceside=true" in the "MIDlet-Push-1" property? Please clarify.

Thanks,
Adkari
Old 06-13-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Adikari

Hi:

Can some one post a "working" MIDP2.0 Push sample code based on either static registration?

I have trying MIDP2.0 push for over a week and I am able to get it to work.
I get a RunTimeException during Simulator startup if I use static registration URL as:

MIDlet-Push-1: socket://localhost:50000, PushMIDlet, *

and a ConnectionNotFoundException during simulator startup if I use a static registration URL as:
MIDlet-Push-1: socket://:50000, PushMIDlet, *

Can some one please help me solve this?

Moreover, I am not clear how to make a socket connection to the Blackberry simulator even if I get the MIDLet registered w/o errors? Do I need a Access Point or do I just open a socket connection to the IP address of the machine in which the machine is running and the port specified in the "MIDlet-Push-1" property?

Please do let me know.

Thanks,
Adikari
Old 06-14-2005, 05:08 AM   #7
mmkl

hi,
did you try a dynamic registration with
Code:
PushRegistry.registerConnection("socket://:50000;deviceside_true", this.getClass().getName(), "*")
?

mmkl
Old 09-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
paulfynch

Model: 7520

BB's example (or maybe you've seen it)

Code:
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/796557/800332/800429/How_To_-_Register_a_MIDlet_with_the_PushRegistry.html?nodeid=817112&vernum=0
hope that helps, im going to test it soon, ill follow up with results

cheers
pf
Old 09-14-2005, 01:15 AM   #9
paulfynch

Model: 7520

hey mmkl,
you said you successfully tested this with the mds simulator. Can you describe the conditions of the test? example: local webserver etc? I am trying to recreate a similar procedure only using php and a simple tcp socket server. I have not succeeded (hence the post). I added the deviceside=true to the connection string thinking (alas after 3 days) this MUST be the solution, but still, no bones. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks again
pf
Closed Thread