Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Bulkhead
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default Google snooping?

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone else have the gmail application installed who can comment on the error message I see below?

Is google collecting information on me from my phone log?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	9176   Click image for larger version

Name:	error2s.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	9177   Click image for larger version

Name:	error3s.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	9178  
Old 09-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
evilp8ntballer7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.7204/1710; en; U; ssr))

I would say your fine as far as google trying to get any data so I wudnt worry but I'm not sure bout the other part?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Google is not snooping. Google apps give you the feature to dial a number from within the Google application. For example, if you look up a business in Google Maps, it will find you the info, including address and phone number. You can drive to it, call it, map it, etc. In order to "call it" it needs access to the phone app.

No personal info is sent to Google. You are safe to allow it. If you don't allow it Google will likely not work right.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
ManiacDan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
PIN: N/A

John is right, the "system logs" just allow Google to hook into the phone dialing. Like a system hook for a regular operating system.

Your third error occurred when you said "No" I assume. When the blackberry OS encounters an error it "throws an exception." An exception is a specialized type of error that the system can pass to the software that caused the error, letting the software know exactly what type of error and sometimes how to fix it. In this case, the google mail application failed to properly "catch" the exception that was thrown, so the system took over. It closed Google maps and displayed the raw content of the message to you. In this particular case, you'll see that it was a "ControlledAccessException" which means that the google app was trying to get somewhere it wasn't allow to be.

You've probably seen exception errors like that before, and a guarantee you'll see them again. Go ahead and let the google apps access your system hooks, it's very handy.

-Dan
Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Spencer_CDS
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F25F08
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacDan View Post
John is right, the "system logs" just allow Google to hook into the phone dialing. Like a system hook for a regular operating system.

Your third error occurred when you said "No" I assume. When the blackberry OS encounters an error it "throws an exception." An exception is a specialized type of error that the system can pass to the software that caused the error, letting the software know exactly what type of error and sometimes how to fix it. In this case, the google mail application failed to properly "catch" the exception that was thrown, so the system took over. It closed Google maps and displayed the raw content of the message to you. In this particular case, you'll see that it was a "ControlledAccessException" which means that the google app was trying to get somewhere it wasn't allow to be.

You've probably seen exception errors like that before, and a guarantee you'll see them again. Go ahead and let the google apps access your system hooks, it's very handy.

-Dan
Sir, that explanation was worthy of the slow clap. =3

4.2.1.108 / 2.3.0.85
Closed Thread