Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
frseattle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TOUR
Carrier: Verizon
Default UMA vs. EDGE speed

Please Login to Remove!

Since I can't connect UMA/WiFi with my router (Dlink, somewhat outdated so may that's why?), I connected at Starbucks using my Hotspot account. So I typed in my log in credentials and connected. I then opened several pages such as CNN.com, WSJ.com, threadless.com, etc. Honestly, I can't really tell the speed difference between UMA and EDGE. Is this just me??
Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

It is not as big a difference as many people expected, but it should still be noticably faster.

One reason for this is that the CPU of the blackberry must still render the same info no matter how fast the connection can download it.

Otherwise the starbucks connection you were using may have been overloaded and not dlivering it peak speed. Try in a few more place and see how they compare.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

My 8320 is screaming fast on Wifi... I did a test going to several wap sites using the 8320 on Wifi and an 8300 on EDGE..

The Wifi smoked EDGE and it was not even close... I think the issue, thus far at least, is when loading graphic intense sites... I only browse wap / mobile sites from the BB and can say without a doubt that Wifi blows EDGE away..
Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
peteyspambucket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think it's pretty fast on UMA to browse. I've been reading the NY Times, and it's flying. Usually, on EDGE, the text comes down so I can start reading it, but the page doesn't fully render for about a minute. With UMA, the page renders before I'm even done reading the first sentence or two. Quite noticeably fast.
BlackBerry 7100t unlocked
Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
frseattle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TOUR

What is WAP sites? How do I access this on my Curve?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Radio Flyer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by frseattle View Post
What is WAP sites? How do I access this on my Curve?
WAP or Mobile sites are optimized for viewing on a handheld. You don't get all the content (usually less graphics), but it is noticeably faster to load and better formatted for the small screen. The web addresses usually start with http://wap... or http://mobile... BlackBerry Forums' site is at wap.blackberryforums.com

When in doubt, you can take a shot at your favorite sites to see if they have a wap/mobile site by sticking wap. or mobile. at the beginining of the url. Search in Google for "wap sites" and you'll find lots of threads with people posting their favorites. Here are a couple of threads to get you started:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ile-sites.html

Wap site wap browser wap hosting wap web sites free wap sites wap directory

Best WAP sites for mobile phones? - FlyerTalk Forums

Last edited by Radio Flyer; 09-27-2007 at 10:18 AM..
Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

Mine is twice as fast compare to EDGE... Once you go WiFi, you'll never go back lol

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
GoodLuckBear

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by frseattle View Post
Since I can't connect UMA/WiFi with my router (Dlink, somewhat outdated so may that's why?), I connected at Starbucks using my Hotspot account. So I typed in my log in credentials and connected. I then opened several pages such as CNN.com, WSJ.com, threadless.com, etc. Honestly, I can't really tell the speed difference between UMA and EDGE. Is this just me??
Frseattle,
Not sure about your D-Link router...you could try one of T-Mobile's free after mail in rebate or upgrade your D-Link's firmware.

That said, you should not have to login at at HotSpot with your Curve. The phone should automatically connect you to UMA and you should see the different signal bars while there. Since you're indicating you had to login that is probably the issue with your speed. Try changing your browser settings to Blackberry instead of Wi-Fi Browser. Make sure you change it in all locations on the phone and then try again.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
rjw3000

Model: Charm

There's no comparison as far as the speed, my wifi at home is way, way faster than EDGE. Using the blackberryforums wap site with the wifi is great. Now if you go to a site that has a ton of stuff that is going to bottleneck because of the mobile phones processing limitations, you're not going to see a huge difference.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
gbrendel

Model: 8700G
PIN: N/A

I use midpSSH (sort of like a secure remote command prompt for anyone who doesn't know) a lot as I administer several unix and linux servers. I noticed it screamed along when on UMA like I was sitting at the machine. I am extremely satisfied with the speed increase.
Closed Thread