Old 09-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
cuisinartoh

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Complete, total newbie to BB

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

We our a small business that will start with 5 BB users and probably never go over 10. We use Verizon and will likely all get the 8830 BB. I'm the lucky one to set everything up. I'm a unix guy from way back, but don't much at all about Windows. We'll be using our BB's with Exchange 2003.

We want bi-directional syncing of our email, calendar, notes, tasks, etc. Must I install a BES or is there an another way? All the setup of BES for just 5 users seems a bit overkill, but I think it's necessary for all the bi-directional features, yes?

I was thinking that if we had to go with a BES that I'd use the express edition and buy 4 additional CALs.

Any pointers for a total newbie?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I'm not a BES admin but I do know that you need BES in order to have full wireless sync of all your data.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

I initially set up a BES server for just one user. As long as there is sufficient business need, you don't need to worry about it being overkill for 5 users. I don't see you accomplishing this any other way (unless you go the route of a different handheld). The BES is really a robust solution and it is set-and-forget in many installations. Coming from a Unix background I'm sure you can appreciate that.

Be aware that email is not true "sync" per se, email is first pushed then reconciled. Functionally this is similar to a sync, but you don't get all of you old historical emails. When you activate the device you can select to prepopulate 14 days worth (up to 750 messages). But PIM data (minus the company address book, which is available via lookup in the GAL) IS synchronized in both directions over the air. This is great.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Aroc hit BES implementation 100% on the head ... I wish everyone else saw it this way:

As long as there is sufficient business need, you don't need to worry about it being overkill for X users

Business Need ... Business driving technology. I feel like so many times I see technology driving business and implementations done wrong. Bravo, excellent point Aroc.

... Increasing the number of messages that appear during enterprise activation and message pre-population
Old 09-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

BES is definately the way to go as it has loads of functionality that you don't have with the web based version..

Have a look at the link below for advice on setting it up and (hush) but for that nubmer of users you can run it on xp.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...es-thread.html
Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit

Once you've used BES, you can never be happy with just BIS.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
marco616
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300

One point to add, the BES is not a setup and forget. I'm not sure what type of business you're in but be sure to protect the devices you are using by using the appropriate IT policies. Monitor your logs, and protect your network a network can easily be comprised through a Blackberry, without using the appropriate IT policies. This forum is filled with talented BES Admins that should be able to answer any question you may have... Good Luck
Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #8
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco616 View Post
One point to add, the BES is not a setup and forget. I'm not sure what type of business you're in but be sure to protect the devices you are using by using the appropriate IT policies.
hmm I don't agree...particularly not for a small business with 5 devices as per OP's message unless you're in a very high risk business

Set and forget - that's part of the beauty.

IT policies - schmolicies with that number of users (and probs owner/co-owner etc)

Quote:
Monitor your logs,
why - they're just boring text files and the op's bound to have more useful things to do..

Quote:
and protect your network a network can easily be comprised through a Blackberry, without using the appropriate IT policies
give me an example please..

Quote:
. This forum is filled with talented BES Admins that should be able to answer any question you may have... Good Luck
It is, they are, but please do a search, RTFM first - once you've RTFM'ed then you'll still have questions because the BB documentation is still a bit difficult to read in places for unbelievers..so post away..but like all forums everyone will have a difference of opinion (some greater than others!!)

Last edited by bertiebassett; 10-01-2007 at 03:35 PM..
Old 10-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
....a network can easily be comprised through a Blackberry, without using the appropriate IT policies.
I think the word you were meaning is 'compromised' and, although it likely can be compromised, I doubt the word "easily" would be fitting. Anything can be compromised, but in this case, I agree with Berti. With so few users, it's pretty easy to keep things under control without restricting use of the BB, and without compromising the network.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Hey, I like looking through the logs, they are not boring! (ok, you're right, they are ... but my sexy text editor gives them life with color)

schmolicies has now been added to my Firefox & MS Word dictionary; thank you.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
Hey, I like looking through the logs, they are not boring! (ok, you're right, they are ... but my sexy text editor gives them life with color)

schmolicies has now been added to my Firefox & MS Word dictionary; thank you.
Hey monkey man, what sexy text editor are you using? I could use a good log parser...since I don't have one.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Hey monkey man, what sexy text editor are you using? I could use a good log parser...since I don't have one.
I use EditPlus and have some custom colors defined. Its extremely lightweight and the Webmaster's at the last place I worked used it and couldn't say enough about it.

It comes with lots of basic code coloring / formatting and you can make your own. I didn't do anything fancy, but just to highlight some stuff to make it easier to view.
Closed Thread