Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
canira

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Blackberry-safe glue or tape?

Please Login to Remove!

I'd made a separate post here but no one's replying to it anymore and I was unable to edit the subject, so I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'd taken apart my blackberry (for the fourth time or so, so I'm definitely somewhat experienced with this) and this little orange square (I'm assuming tape or it was at least once sticky) fell out. I've deduced that it probably covered the metal component that's the usb jack, but I'm unsure of how to properly put it back into place.

Is regular glue safe to use? Can I use a piece of scotch tape instead if the purpose of this orange square was to ground this component?

Thank you!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Sytner
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: S = Ouch
Carrier: Orange UK

Wirelessly posted (8520 (5.0.0.411))

I'm not entirely sure about the tape thing, but one word of caution is to not use glue. It reacts with the housing turning it white, I found that out the hard way with my 8820.
9800 / 6.0.0.337
If someone posts something useful, click thanks!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
BeachBum71
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: Ask

Are you referring to the transparent tape in the pic I just attached? Its a little blurry but you can make out the piece of tape I believe you're talking about.

Mine fell off too, I got a piece of electrical large enough to wrap around that USB port. I put that tape on top of the port then with tweezers applied the electrical tape, its still on there. I just watch to make sure I don't knock it off when I take it apart to clean it.

Other option, if you have a radio shack or electronics store close by, see if they have some adhesive that is safe to use for electronics. I didn't go this route because it's too close to the LCD screen.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	18295  

Richard

After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo ingles."
Old 04-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
canira

PIN: N/A

It's EXACTLY that tape, yes! Thank you so much, I hadn't had confirmation yet that that's where it was from.

Do you happen to know if it falling off could cause a short?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum71 View Post
Are you referring to the transparent tape in the pic I just attached? Its a little blurry but you can make out the piece of tape I believe you're talking about.

Mine fell off too, I got a piece of electrical large enough to wrap around that USB port. I put that tape on top of the port then with tweezers applied the electrical tape, its still on there. I just watch to make sure I don't knock it off when I take it apart to clean it.

Other option, if you have a radio shack or electronics store close by, see if they have some adhesive that is safe to use for electronics. I didn't go this route because it's too close to the LCD screen.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
BeachBum71
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by canira View Post
It's EXACTLY that tape, yes! Thank you so much, I hadn't had confirmation yet that that's where it was from.

Do you happen to know if it falling off could cause a short?
I'm not sure if it would cause a short. I didn't realize it had fallen off until I had finished putting mine back together. I do remember that I had turned my blackberry on and it was working, but never did connect the usb to it to see if it would work.

Richard

After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo ingles."
Closed Thread