Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
lady_mcse

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Random Reboot Problems

Please Login to Remove!

I've had a Blackberry 8330 for 2 years. It finally developed enough problems I sent it to our administrative staff who manages phones, and a couple of days later, she sent me a "new" one.

This "new" one is also an 8330, and came with the protective plastic stickies on it, and battery installed, but I know nothing more of its history. I suspect it might be a refurb - she didn't give me the box or inserts or anything.

When I got it, it said the battery was fully charged, but during enterprise activation, the screen went dark and the red light came on, so I assumed it may have been not fully charged. Swapped out for another battery from a coworker - a battery that was only a couple of weeks old, and recently charged.

It didn't make it an hour, before doing the same thing.

For going home for the weekend, I swapped back to the battery that came with it. The battery indicator has never gone lower than halfway, but I've charged it from an A/C charger anyway just to make sure it stays well charged.

The thing has probably rebooted more than a dozen times in 48 hours. Sometimes it's while I"m in the middle of doing something on screen, and others I just know it's rebooted because the keypad is no longer locked like it was when I left it (and my Gmail has to "load" which is another sign).

Sooooo ... before I pitch a hissy fit with the admin and insist it's flakey, anything more I should do to troubleshoot it?

Current firmware on this 8330 is 4.5.0.175. I see there is a newer firmware posted on this forum, but I don't know if that would impact the Enterprise Activation with the BES ...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Sounds like you got a referb and a defective one at that.

Pitch the hissy fit.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
widorrah
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Digicel

I agree with Tsac

But if you decide to troubleshoot it some more and reload the OS, you'd need to check with the admin anyways cause your BES will be gone.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
lady_mcse

Well, I am actually the BES admin (one of two anyway). So I don't mind trying a firmware\OS update, I can always re-activate. But so far I haven't needed to do a firmware\OS update on any of our 20 devices. So I wasn't sure if it was a push from the server, or go ahead and download the desktop stuff, perform the update locally with USB, then re-activate after the fact.

(I figured with my luck, I update the firmware\OS then find it's not compatible with our version of the BES. I remember looking into BES versions a couple of months ago when we were having daylight savings time issues ... I don't have the version handy at the moment, but it was "current" as of March or so, and updating the Exchange tools on it fixed the DST problems.)
Old 05-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

If the OS is for the model of the BB then it should work. Try the update and then pitch a hissy fit !!

If your the Admin do you have to call yourself to complain??
Old 05-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
lady_mcse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post

If your the Admin do you have to call yourself to complain??
Oh, believe me, there have been many a time I've stared at some stupid MICROSOFT error that included "please contact your system administrator ..."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
lady_mcse

Update ...

Sent my phone in to the admin who's responsible for them. I included a full page of handwritten notes on what it does and what I had tried to do to correct it (different batteries, wipe handheld, and firmware update). In my message, I also asked her to please be sure to remove the battery if sending it interoffice mail, so that it wouldn't be making calls from the envelope AGAIN.

So, of course, I got a hand-written note back with the same phone saying "couldn't find anything wrong."

Ended up going directly to the phone vendor who replaced it immediately.

Been happy with the replacement for about 72 hrs ... fingers crossed it will stay good!
Closed Thread