Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #21
juicy kicks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Thanks...I know that post #14 has nothing to do with losing memory...I had asked what the application switch was. Someone had mentioned that too many application switches would cause a memory leak, thus I wanted to know what it was so that I don't do it.

For some odd reason, my pc and mac won't detect the external memory card when connected.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Media card not recognized? - BlackBerryFAQ.com

Check out the FAQs here, most of your questions should be answered.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #23
juicy kicks

Thanks! All my files were saved on the SD card but I format the card just in case. My BB recognizes the SD card, but it's my computers that aren't picking it up. Before on my Pearl, opening My Computer, I would see a icon link for Removable Drive, now I don't. I've tried a bunch of things, but comp is just not recognizing it
Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #24
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Try changing the drive letter on your PC... if you have another drive on e: or f:, move that to another letter like m:
Old 01-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #25
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy kicks View Post
Thanks! All my files were saved on the SD card but I format the card just in case. My BB recognizes the SD card, but it's my computers that aren't picking it up. Before on my Pearl, opening My Computer, I would see a icon link for Removable Drive, now I don't. I've tried a bunch of things, but comp is just not recognizing it

Menu>options>advance options>Media Card>Enable Mass Storage Mode = (Yes)

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 01-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #26
juicy kicks

thanks! computer will recognize if i took the sd card out and stuck it in the memory card adapter, it just won't recognize otherwise. My setting have always been with all that stuff on and stuff...oh well....can't change drive names cuz i'm on work computer and all the drives are linked to the server.

But thanks for all the help!!! I really appreciate it! ;)
Old 01-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #27
DyMndSkiR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22F1E255

Can you un-map network drives? I have had several computers that had a similar problem.

If a network drive is created as the next available drive in the list, such as you have A, C, D, and E as hard drive and cd-rom drives, if you made F a network drive, removable drives wouldn't be recognized and assigned a drive letter. No idea what causes it, but I have had that issue several times.

If you can, try to un-map your network drives and then hook up your BB with the SD card in it. See if that helps.

May not, but it's worth a shot.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #28
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricpac View Post
the application switch is much like the alt-tab (windows) and command-tab (mac); for our BBs, you have two options:

1. press and hold ALT, press the ESC key then use your trackball to cycle through the apps (highlight the app you wish to open and release the ALT key)

2. set up either your left or right convenience keys to be the app switcher; you can do it right off Options under Screen/Keyboard
There's a third method. Press ENDCALL followed by the application key shortcut or application icon.

ENDCALL+"L" -- switch to Calendar without interrupting current app

ENDCALL+"A" -- switch to Addressbook without interrupting current app

Personally, I have no problems with plenty of third party applications, since I have configured the camera to save to my memory card. Having even a cheap $20 MicroSD memory card makes a big difference, once you reconfigure the camera to save to memory card by default. Nothing else gobbles memory as quickly, and other memory leaks by other software are minor or nonexistent that I can run all the applications I want simultaneously (within bounds of reasonableness -- the most I've ran at once was 10 with no problems). I do have the latest Curve OS, though.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 01-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #29
PeaceOut

Model: 8310

Does BB have something like windows task manager which tells it what programs are running and much memory it's using?
If not...that'd be a great tool.

So if I'm getting this right...my call logs and emails will be erased if I'm running out of memory or when an application needs more memory? Most phones save a certain amount of call logs, like the last 10 or so...is there a setting for this?
Also if you click on the menu on a phone number on the Phone application, you can select history and it'll give you all the calls make with that number. Is there a way to save (archive) this information on the microsd?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #30
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

1.) It won't tell you the amount of memory used by and application but you can see what's running by pressing "alt + esc" keeping holding alt and you can scroll the list with the trackball.

2.) Yes, the device will erase call logs and messages when low on memory. It does this to protect the memory needed to maintain the OS. To avoid this problem see:

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ.com

It only keeps the last ten calls. If you hit menu on the entry you can get a history for that number. If you wish to see all call logs go into the message folder and hit "Alt + P".

Last there is no way to save call history to the SD.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Closed Thread